PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] After CPU upgrade, Ubuntu won't boot

SweetPete
June 10th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Hi,

I've been running Ubuntu 8.04 x64 for a few weeks now without a hitch on my Dell E521 w/AMD X2 x64 3800+ CPU. Today I upgraded the processor to a 5600+, and now my computer gets to seemingly random states of booting before completely freezing, the farthest being the login screen. I put the original CPU back in and everything went back to normal.

Any ideas? I have no idea if it may be a BIOS issue, but I'm hesitant to upgrade the BIOS (via software) as many E521 users have tried to do this and have ended up with a dead motherboard. Of course, Dell won't be of much help anyway since this computer came with WinXP installed, not Ubuntu.

Help!

atoponce
June 10th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Can you boot from a LiveCD or another boot media with the new CPU?

avtolle
June 10th, 2008, 11:20 PM
It well may be a BIOS issue. Are you dual booting, or is Ubuntu your only o/s on the box?

Pumalite
June 10th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Post what your BIOS says about your new CPU.

SweetPete
June 11th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Guys,

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm not dual-booting - it's just Ubuntu. I have the exact same problem with Live mode via the DVD. My BIOS recognizes the CPU, albeit the speed is incorrect - the BIOS says it's 2.8ghz, when it's actually 2.9ghz. There's more current BIOS from Dell for this model, but as stated, I'm hesistant - I'm out of warranty, and if the BIOS upgrade fails, I'll have to spend $100+ for a new motherboard (long story short - over on the Dell support forum, lots of people have "killed" their motherboards as the BIOS update software (Win) is "flaky").

I have another E521 that I upgraded the exact same way, but that PC is running WinXP x64 - which didn't even hiccup after the first reboot. In fact, it's running just fine slightly overclocked to 3ghz.