PDA

View Full Version : Installed FreeBSD, and it's rather confusing.

Barrucadu
June 10th, 2008, 10:58 PM
I decided to take my first steps into BSD-land today, since I have an old laptop here that had no purpose. I installed FreeBSD, and it is different to say the very least.
I'm sure I'll have loads of fun with it :)

ibutho
June 10th, 2008, 11:27 PM
You'll definitely have loads of fun. I remember my first FreeBSD installation and how I was completely baffled by its differences with Linux. The FreeBSD Handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html) proved to be a very valuable resource.

Barrucadu
June 10th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I'm writing this reply from FreeBSD, so I have at least figured out how to install Openbox and Opera, if nothing else. :lol:
Over the next few days I'll be installing and configuring everything I need to use it properly, then after that it's time to dig beneath the surface.

cardinals_fan
June 11th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I'm writing this reply from FreeBSD, so I have at least figured out how to install Openbox and Opera, if nothing else. :lol:

Feel lucky. Opera hates NetBSD :(

cammin
June 11th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Feel lucky. Opera hates NetBSD :(

Is that because NetBSD doesn't want a closed source binary, or because Opera doesn't want to develop a NetBSD version?

swoll1980
June 11th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I tried freebsd I installed gnome but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to configure it right. I got to the point that I could startx and run programs from the terminal gnome-panel for instance and it was functional, but I couldn't get over the hump. Perhaps I will try it again sometime soon. I will add that it seemed very fast and responsive. I tried pc-bsd it was definitely faster than Linux though I can't stand kde. pc-bsd has a cool tool that works like install shield it's got some potential

Barrucadu
June 11th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I've made ports a bit more like a Linux package manager by creating three scripts in /usr/local/bin (I'm getting the hang of the directory structure, too): ports-update, ports-install, and ports-remove. Only really simple scripts, but they make life a little easier. Next, is a ports-search script!

cardinals_fan
June 11th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Is that because NetBSD doesn't want a closed source binary, or because Opera doesn't want to develop a NetBSD version?
The latter.

That's why I dual-boot NetBSD with Slackware :)

Bachstelze
June 11th, 2008, 05:27 PM
The latter.

That's why I dual-boot NetBSD with Slackware :)

They're not developing a FreeBSD version either, FreeBSD uses the Linux version through its Linux compatibility layer. But it's true that NetBSD's is far less advanced...

cardinals_fan
June 11th, 2008, 06:03 PM
They're not developing a FreeBSD version either, FreeBSD uses the Linux version through its Linux compatibility layer. But it's true that NetBSD's is far less advanced...
No, there is a FreeBSD version of Opera. It doesn't seem to be the one distributed through ports (go figure), but you can download it from their site.

MONODA
August 31st, 2008, 05:34 PM
I've made ports a bit more like a Linux package manager by creating three scripts in /usr/local/bin (I'm getting the hang of the directory structure, too): ports-update, ports-install, and ports-remove. Only really simple scripts, but they make life a little easier. Next, is a ports-search script!
any chance you could provide us with those? :)

sandysandy
August 31st, 2008, 05:50 PM
had installed freeBSD about a month back.

during installation had selected the window maker, gnome packages etc.

but when i boot into freeBSD i only get the text terminal and not the GUI.:(

any help.:)

regards

Bachstelze
August 31st, 2008, 05:57 PM
The GUI isn't started by default. Try

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/gdm start

MONODA
August 31st, 2008, 07:50 PM
or just startx

Bachstelze
August 31st, 2008, 08:29 PM
or just startx

No. By default, startx will just start the X server, with no window manager whatsoever.

MONODA
August 31st, 2008, 09:26 PM
No. By default, startx will just start the X server, with no window manager whatsoever.
are you sure, because I remember that just typing in startx will start an X server with the wm/de that you installed during the freebsd installation. I assume that it automatically creates a .xinitrc during installation. (Then again I could be totally wrong since I dont use freebsd now.)

mips
September 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM
are you sure, because I remember that just typing in startx will start an X server with the wm/de that you installed during the freebsd installation. I assume that it automatically creates a .xinitrc during installation. (Then again I could be totally wrong since I dont use freebsd now.)

I'm pretty sure from recollection that only X will be started. Had to manually edit xinitrc.