PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] getting back to vista

drewsfca
June 10th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I installed ibuntu today and may have incorrectly done so. I can't figure out how to get back to vista. I thought I had selected the partition option to have both running. Is there a way to verify if vista is still on my laptop? Rebooting gives me no option.

ajgreeny
June 10th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Boot to the live ubuntu CD and run System>>Administration>>Partition manager. This will show you with a GUI what partitions are on your machine. Hopefully there will be one at the start of the disk which is NTFS, ie Vista. It will probably be noted as sda1, but it will depend on the setup of your hard disk; manufacturers often add a system partition at the beginning with restore info on it. If you are confused, come back again with gparted's findings.

jrharvey
June 10th, 2008, 09:54 PM
You dont even have to do that. Boot into ubuntu and go to your computer and if you see a drive other than "file system" then it may be your windows drive. There is a possibility you may have selected the wrong install method. IDK because I always select manual partition.

Pumalite
June 10th, 2008, 09:57 PM
If Vista is there; you can boot it with Super Grub:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/supergrubdiskpage.html
If it doesn't boot right away; try to fix the MBR first.

Rallg
June 10th, 2008, 10:05 PM
EDIT: The others (above) and I were writing at the same time. So, I removed what I wrote here, since the above advice is likely to produce results faster.

drewsfca
June 10th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Gracias. The only other item there is CD-RW/DVD Drive. So, I'm guessing vista is gone? I have a backup disk though so all is not lost. Just time, humility, and a few files not on my external drive.