PDA

View Full Version : Stupidest thing you heared of a person cheering Linux

Fixman
June 10th, 2008, 04:48 PM
This one looks sarcastic if seen alone, but he was meaning it.

"Linux costs a lot of money, but I bought it and its superior than windows." --Guy from YouTube

This one does it

"Windows and Macs sucks. Linux is cool unless you use Ubuntu its just a crappy snapshot." --I really don't remember where I have seen this

_DD_
June 10th, 2008, 05:01 PM
The first quote just goes to show that some people think a more expensive product means a better product. Remember that experiment some guy did where he compared some reactions to linux when claimed it was expensive compared to when he was telling them straight-off it was free?

beercz
June 10th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Isn't there a rumour about Linux not being prone to viruses because it is not as popular or as widely used as Windows?

freduardo
June 10th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Not entirely the same, but similar:

I overheard a friend of a friend of a friend talking about that he was using Ubuntu and that it was brilliant and sooo much better than windows.
So I said "Hey, I use Linux as well!"
After which he replied "I don't use Linux, it sucks, I use Ubuntu".

Now, I don't really know the guy, but on first impression he struck me as a bit of a wisea**. So I just said "Oh,right, I see..." and turned around to talk to someone else.

RebounD11
June 10th, 2008, 11:28 PM
"I just installed Linux yesterday, and it's great, I love it... My Windows runs so much better now" ... approximate translation from Romanian. This was extracted from something an extremely uninformed friend of mine, who tried to appear intelligent for a girl in my class, said in a discussion I had with several other persons about Linux (I was secretly trying to make them switch to Linux or at least dual-boot :D).

Swarms
June 10th, 2008, 11:38 PM
"I just installed Linux yesterday, and it's great, I love it... My Windows runs so much better now" ... approximate translation from Romanian. This was extracted from something an extremely uninformed friend of mine, who tried to appear intelligent for a girl in my class, said in a discussion I had with several other persons about Linux (I was secretly trying to make them switch to Linux or at least dual-boot :D).
Sounds like the purpose of Wubi. :)

beercz: that is not entirely untrue, security holes will be exploited more if you can hit more targets.

RebounD11
June 10th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Sounds like the purpose of Wubi. :)

beercz: that is not entirely untrue, security holes will be exploited more if you can hit more targets.

If you would have told that guy about Wubi he would think it's the new version of Nintendo Wii (and this would be the closest guess... another close possibility is that he thinks it's a new cartoon character) :D

Swarms
June 11th, 2008, 12:02 AM
If you would have told that guy about Wubi he would think it's the new version of Nintendo Wii (and this would be the closest guess... another close possibility is that he thinks it's a new cartoon character) :D

Haha, yeah I guess I got the point. :)

zmjjmz
June 11th, 2008, 02:42 AM

Linus' Law: The more given eyeballs, the shallower bugs become.
Let # of good people > # of bad people.
Security vulnerabilities will be patched faster :D
It may be true of Mac though, seeing as they have proprietary code.

Sinkingships7
June 11th, 2008, 02:52 AM
@Swarms: your avatar is fecking creepy. IT was one of my childhood favorites. And consequentially the cause of one too many nightmares.

cardinals_fan
June 11th, 2008, 03:22 AM
@Swarms: your avatar is fecking creepy. IT was one of my childhood favorites. And consequentially the cause of one too many nightmares.
+1

Clowns scare me.

Anduu
June 11th, 2008, 06:36 AM
+1

Clowns scare me.

+2

I peed in my pants a little :(

Christmas
June 11th, 2008, 07:16 AM
If you use Linux you are a hacker
Universal - Linux users are usually taken as hackers. That's true as a percentage compared to Windows, but not true in general. You don't have to be a hacker to use Linux.

RebounD11
June 11th, 2008, 09:30 AM

I loved that clown, really scary... still do (it makes my girlfriend crawl into my arms :D)

beercz
June 11th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I never claimed it to be true or false, merely it is a rumour. Although perhaps more or a myth - I think this (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/06/linux_vs_windows_viruses/) and this (http://linuxmafia.com/%7Erick/skoll/anti-virus.php) both explain the situation quite well.

Swarms
June 11th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I hate clowns aswell, but isn't something about living out the fears?

Plus IT is my favorite horrormovie, would have been perfect if it wasn't for the final climax. :)