PDA

View Full Version : Something I don't get about Ubuntu users...

clearnitesky
October 26th, 2005, 08:36 PM
...is the divide between those who use GNOME and those who use KDE. I know there is a bit of a debate in the Linux community over which is better but in my experience it's best to configure one (either!) to look and act how I want it to, then to use which ever applications I need. For example, if I'm in a GNOME mood but find their choice of media player to be inadequate I'll just load up juK or Noatun. Likewise I could be in KDE and choose to use Evolution for email or Totem, just because I'm familiar with those programs.
I understand that Ubuntu (or Kubuntu) fits on to one CD, which is convenient, but one of the first things I did after the CD had done it's stuff was install Kubuntu-desktop as well, so that I had the choice.

Surely one of the major advantages of Linux based operating systems is choice!

I don't get why this forum is split into two for Ubuntu and Kubuntu users; I'd have thought we all have the same problems whichever environment we use. :rolleyes:

GeneralZod
October 26th, 2005, 08:43 PM
I don't get why this forum is split into two for Ubuntu and Kubuntu users; I'd have thought we all have the same problems whichever environment we use. :rolleyes:

Some problems are specific to KDE, some to GNOME, and some are common to both :)

blastus
October 26th, 2005, 08:43 PM
I'm new to Linux. Both KDE and GNOME have their problems but hey, there are not Windows so I'm for both of them. :) I think the forums are split because some problems are very KDE specific or very GNOME specific.

matthew
October 26th, 2005, 08:48 PM
There are problems that are specific to each. Also, there are different ways to solve identical problems depending on which you are using, Gnome or KDE.

Pretty much every other difference is personal preference and good-natured rivalry.

aysiu
October 26th, 2005, 08:55 PM
...is the divide between those who use GNOME and those who use KDE. I know there is a bit of a debate in the Linux community over which is better There isn't as much of a divide as you might think. I've been to some other Linux forums, and I've seen it get quite heated in the Gnome v. KDE area. Here, people use whatever they use, and to each her own, for the most part.

but in my experience it's best to configure one (either!) to look and act how I want it to, then to use which ever applications I need. For example, if I'm in a GNOME mood but find their choice of media player to be inadequate I'll just load up juK or Noatun. Likewise I could be in KDE and choose to use Evolution for email or Totem, just because I'm familiar with those programs. I do the same.

Surely one of the major advantages of Linux based operating systems is choice! Hey, I bounce around like crazy. I just switched from Gnome to XFCE!

I don't get why this forum is split into two for Ubuntu and Kubuntu users; I'd have thought we all have the same problems whichever environment we use. :rolleyes: Well, first of all, I don't know if I agree--people face different problems. For example, if a KDE user says that Konqueror keeps crashing upon trying to open a certain file, it's unlikely Gnome folks are going to come rushing up, "Yeah, I had that happen, too, in Nautilus!" I personally use Konqueror in Gnome, but I think I'm the exception and I use it just for FTP, not for regular file browsing. Likewise, few Kubuntu users are going to complain about Totem or numlockx.

That said, yes, the underlying structure of Ubuntu and Kubuntu is the same. However, as I understand it, Ubuntu came first, and Kubuntu was later, so all the documentation and the forums themselves were built around Gnome. Kubuntu, even though growing in popularity, is still kind of an afterthought of sorts. That's why someone created the Kubuntu forums and there was a wild debate about its usefulness/appropriateness and whether it would serve to fragment the community, etc.

When I was using Kubuntu, I have to say my needs were only indirectly met here. A lot of Kubuntu issues are really KDE issues, and even though this may seem superficial, most people here will assume that a
sudo gedit ... will solve a lot of problems, but for KDE users that's
sudo kwrite ...