PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu on iphone

frost151n
June 10th, 2008, 03:31 PM
hey guys, apple's gonna release the iphone 3g soon, can't wait.
but here's the thing, ubuntu has a mobile version too right??? does anyone know how i can get that on my current iphone???

a9bejo
June 10th, 2008, 04:53 PM
hey guys, apple's gonna release the iphone 3g soon, can't wait.
but here's the thing, ubuntu has a mobile version too right??? does anyone know how i can get that on my current iphone???

If there is a way to put any linux based operating system on an iphone, I'm sure it is a cool but totally unpractical proof-of-concept hack. The iPhone is a closed, proprietary piece of hardware. You cannot even install software on it without Apple's permission.

vishzilla
June 10th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I don't think that's possible.

Black Mage
June 10th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Where there is a will, and a kidnapped Apple IPhone developer, there's a way.

The Cosmic Hobo
June 10th, 2008, 05:27 PM
You might end up with a very broken iPhone if you try - not to mention a voided warranty and a long-term service contract you can't get out of. It could be a very expensive experiment.

I'll wait for the OpenMoko, I think...

chucky chuckaluck
June 10th, 2008, 05:54 PM
why don't you just put ubuntu on a cheaper phone? or, better yet, ban all phones from existence (yeah...that's it!)?

cubeist
June 10th, 2008, 06:02 PM
If you want linux on a mobile device, consider the nokia n800/n810. They use a version called Maemo which works great, but some users run kde. Also, there are other small mobile devices out there that with a lot of hacking can run various linux distros, However, since most desktop linux version are very large pieces of software, they do not run well on small devices which do not have much ram or cpu power, unless they are chopped/developed/ and compiled for the specific device.

Swarms
June 10th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Well its easy to install custom files on it, the real pain is writing drivers for its components.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 10th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Even if someone got Linux running on there, the graphics chipset has a proprietary driver only available for kernel 2.24. Having said that, if someone feels like reverse engineering the PowerVR MBX, I am sure many people would be happy. The Nokia N800 has the same chipset, facing the same dillemma, with the result there being a sad lack of fancy graphics stuff.

In short, it would be a heck of a job.

GotEmRunnin
June 10th, 2008, 06:33 PM
isn't it a closed platform?

Steveway
June 10th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Go ahead and play with your little toy-phones.
I'll be using my Android-phone when it comes out.

Swarms
June 10th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Go ahead and play with your little toy-phones.
I'll be using my Android-phone when it comes out.

Yeah and I will be rocking on my hoverboard when that comes out... (Slightly different timescale though ;)).

Robux the great
June 10th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Doesn't the i phone have a special gadget in it that alerts Steve jobs's law firm if you try to put something on it that he doesn't approve of?

Swarms
June 10th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Doesn't the i phone have a special gadget in it that alerts Steve jobs's law firm if you try to put something on it that he doesn't approve of?

Remember OSX is all about bling, not clever engineering.
And I still like the iPhone. :)