PDA

View Full Version : Quotes!

superbenny
June 10th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Hey all-

I'm doing an article for my school newspaper on a new Ubuntu machine at our towns library. Anyone have anything good to say about Ubuntu or GNU/Linux in general?

Try to keep it as not-technical as possible - this is a school paper, not a tech blog.

Thanks!
-superbenny

barbedsaber
June 10th, 2008, 03:26 PM
finally computers have a face, its called ubuntu.

superbenny
June 10th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Haha very nice. Something more like "Ubuntu is a very nice alternative to Windows computers..." etc etc...something that can be used as a quote in a school newspaper.

barbedsaber
June 10th, 2008, 03:32 PM
"Ubuntu is a very nice alternative to Windows computers."

there you go

superbenny
June 10th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Wow, clever

_DD_
June 10th, 2008, 03:37 PM
"Ubuntu is a very nice alternative to Windows computers..."
I don't really like that one. It just doesn't sound right. Its something to do with how it kinda implies that the computer hardware is also Windows, and Ubuntu is an alternative computer, not just an OS you can install over Windows on (virtually) any x86 computer.

Some people don't understand what operating systems are - they just think that the stuff you see on the screen is is the computer (I've talked to some people who haven't even heard of Windows before or don't begin to understand what it is), so a statement like that would just confuse things further.

The classic place to see this in play is if you watch the CNN news report on the release on Windows 95 (I think its CNN, you can find it on youtube); whoever wrote the commentary obviously didn't know much about computers, as they seemed to question the hype because it was only an operating system that was made to sound like it didn't actually do much for the computer (or "the program that talks to other programs" as I seem to remember it said).

Yes, I know its Windows 95 and it probably didn't do too much to help the computer it was installed on (:lolflag:), but this demonstrates how easily people misunderstand what an operating system is.

Much better would be simply to say "a powerful and viable alternative to Windows".
Another thing you could touch on is that its derived from the same roots as Apple OS X and shares OS X's stability and security, yet its free and far more flexible. Before anyone says; I know that OS X is Unix-based and in the BSD family, blah blah blah, but its a valid simplification.

KingTermite
June 10th, 2008, 03:39 PM
I recently tried Ubuntu after having MAJOR problems with Vista. Ubuntu has worked so well for me that I barely even turn Windows on anymore. I'm in Ubuntu 90% of the time.

beercz
June 10th, 2008, 03:44 PM
"Linux for human beings"?

Linuxratty
June 10th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Linux, finally,there is a choice.

Dr Small
June 10th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Linux. You can't be a hacker without it :D

Therion
June 10th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I tell people I quit running around in circles maintaining my PC under Windows and got back to working on my PC under Ubuntu/Linux. I don't know if that's quote-worthy or not, but if it is, please be sure to spell Therion correctly? kthxbye.

jgrabham
June 10th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Linux. You can't be a hacker without it :D

One of my all time favourite quotes -

"Trying to hack in Windows is like trying to dance in a full body cast".

freebeer
June 10th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Lend me your poor, your tired, your huddled computers yearning to breath free!