PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Nautilus crash when accessing trash under root

dupersuper
June 10th, 2008, 01:49 PM
whenever i run nautilus using sudo, nautilus will hang when accessing the trash in the sidebar.
this didn't use to happen in the past. seems like a s/w update caused it.

the problem right now is that i have deleted some files in nautilus as root but as i am unable to empty the trash, i can't recover the space.

i noticed under the root home directory there is no .trash folder so i can't use rm to remove the files either.

does anyone know where does files deleted in root nautilus go? :(
thanks!

juanoleso
June 10th, 2008, 10:17 PM
yeah, i had this same problem too. I believe the trash goes to like /root/.local/share/Trash something like that (sorry at work on a windows machine.) I then rm'd the "files" folder in there and then recreated with the same permissions that it had before.

NilsE
June 10th, 2008, 10:22 PM
There is a bug open in launchpad for this problem. A suggested workaround until fixed is to launch nautilus with the following command

gksudo dbus-launch nautilus

dupersuper
June 11th, 2008, 11:06 AM
There is a bug open in launchpad for this problem. A suggested workaround until fixed is to launch nautilus with the following command

it worked! thanks. cleared up quite some space.

weremichael
August 14th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Sadly, this didn't work for me. I still get the follow error message: "Error removing file: Permission denied."

The files I want to delete only appear in the trash when I mount a second hard drive. The files were (and I guess still are) located on this second hard drive so I guess that makes sense.

Anyone have a suggestion for permanently deleting these files??

billy_bob666
September 9th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Thanks i had the same problem
(gksudo dbus-launch nautilus) works :)
i recovered 56 gigs

AmberG
December 5th, 2008, 04:03 PM

So the bug is still open in 8.10 ?

I had this problem as well today - but this workaround WORKED for me.

Thanks

MollyWop
April 4th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Worked for me in 10.10. : )

MarkVS
April 14th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Worked for me as well :) You would think that they would have fixed it by now.