PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation on IBM T23

Gilvoth
June 10th, 2008, 01:06 PM
I've been trying to get Ubuntu to install on a Thinkpad T23 but I keep having issues with it. Most recently I'm trying 8.04 and reading about it... It sounds like most people with the same model or similar report no problems. For mine, it seems to freeze or lock-up a lot only on Ubuntu. I have tried other distributions, Gentoo installed and worked well but was a pain in the ***. Windows works flawlessly on this laptop.

Where I'm stuck... I get booted into the installer with no error and go through the configuration. When it gets to where it's actually installing, it hangs at 15%, Detecting File Systems, I think. That's out of memory but I know it was 15%. Has anyone ever seen anything similar or any tips to get past it?

wpshooter
June 10th, 2008, 01:25 PM
What are the spec. on your computer ? Particularly how much memory ?

Gilvoth
June 10th, 2008, 01:30 PM
P3 1ghz
256MB Ram
30GB HD

wpshooter
June 10th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Problems are probably lack of memory related.

Try to install Ubuntu from the ALTERATE (text based) CD version.

Personally, I would not be trying to run 2 different O/Ss on this computer. I don't really think you have satisfactory resources for 1 O/S might less 2.

But good luck.

chivobrincon
July 16th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Hello guys. I am having the same problem, of course on the same type of machine (t23 thinkpad). I cannot go any further than the partition manager and sometimes not even there. I also tried to install another earlier release of ubuntu , in fact 6.06 and i remember it used to install pretty easy on a t21 i used to have. well the point is that for some reason i cant figure out, ubuntu does not install on t23. Maybe it could be the memory but the weird thing here is that in my old t21 i had the same amount of memory and had no problems at all. Now here i want to recommend something before you continue trying to install ubuntu on your machine; download a program called Partition Table Doctor and back up your partition. I recommend this because you may run into the following problem... you try to install ubuntu and then your machine stops doing anything and you have no option left but to turn it off and when you reboot you find that windows was left in a hole, in other words you cant boot. If you run into this problem and you were wise enough to back up your partition table(before you try to install ubuntu) you ll get out of this problem in a blink of an eye thanks to Partition table Doctor. I love this software. It has saved my life a few times. You can download here: http://www.ptdd.com

Now, back to Ubuntu. I love this environment and i need help too. I really want to install it on my machine. Any tips?