PDA

View Full Version : Screenshot of 18 mice operating simultaneously!!!!!

d.kusummmanth@gmail.com
June 10th, 2008, 08:12 AM
http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/mpx/files/images/18cursors_2.png

My mind got blown away, when I saw this photo. It is a project called Multi-Pointer X Server (MPX). More pics (http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/mpx/?q=screenshots)

The Multi-Pointer X Server (MPX) is a modification of the X Server. A standard X Server only provides one mouse cursor (pointer) and one keyboard focus, regardless of the number of input devices connected. MPX provides the user with multiple mouse cursors and multiple keyboard foci. Multicursor applications have been developed in the past but MPX is the first implementation of a multicursor windowing system (or a multicursor X server).

MPX devices are independent. Each cursor is a true system cursor and different pointers can operate in multiple applications simultaneously. This allows for two-handed interaction and/or collaboration on a single display. MPX is compatible to legacy applications such as the GIMP, the Firefox web browser and numerous other applications. Keyboards provide multiple keyboard foci. So you can actually type into several applications at once. Both mice and keyboards can be hot-plugged.

MPX is significantly different to solutions like cpnmouse, SDGToolkit, MIDDesktop and other toolkits or applications. It is fairly easy under most operating systems to write an application or toolkit to support multiple input devices. It is trickier to support the same for legacy applications. Supporting new and legacy applications at the same time is hard.

MPX changes the windowing system, the environment for all graphical applications. This way, legacy applications are supported and provided with extra features. New applications can use the multi-pointer facilities and thus create novel interaction methods at the same time. That is why we think that the windowing system is the correct place to support multiple input devices.

DeadSuperHero
June 10th, 2008, 08:17 AM
That's just a wild concept.
I can imagine that it could get pretty messy on actual collaboration...

Me: Hey, HEY! Stop painting moustaches on my pictures!
Brother: No, we NEED this for our project.
Me: But why are you dragging old video game files to the CD burner?
Random Person: Oh, don't mind me, I just need to make a CD.
Random Guy #2: And I need to use your internet!
Random guy #3: And your telephone, too!
Brother: But our phone's over there!
Random Guy: Oh, are you making PICTURES? I want to draw.
Brother: Sure, go ahead!
Me: Aaaargh!

It would either need usability constraints, or a really big screen with sections for everyone to drag and drop things...

wannadumpwindows
June 10th, 2008, 08:21 AM
I like the idea of being able to focus the keyboard on multiple windows at the same time. I could find all kinds of uses for that.

d.kusummmanth@gmail.com
June 10th, 2008, 08:29 AM
That's just a wild concept.
I can imagine that it could get pretty messy on actual collaboration...

Me: Hey, HEY! Stop painting moustaches on my pictures!
Brother: No, we NEED this for our project.
Me: But why are you dragging old video game files to the CD burner?
Random Person: Oh, don't mind me, I just need to make a CD.
Random Guy #2: And I need to use your internet!
Random guy #3: And your telephone, too!
Brother: But our phone's over there!
Random Guy: Oh, are you making PICTURES? I want to draw.
Brother: Sure, go ahead!
Me: Aaaargh!

It would either need usability constraints, or a really big screen with sections for everyone to drag and drop things...
Ya, 18 mice is a bit too much, but....

Well, It might be useful if one person is teaching to another, on the same system. I find 1 mouse to be insufficient in these situations. Also, applications like GIMP will be better used, if we can use both our hands( read as two mice). Also, it wastes time to move cursor from the pallete section to workspace and back.
http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/mpx/files/images/gimp_dualinputproblems.preview.png

wannadumpwindows
June 10th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I can see it now. Me laid back in my easy chair, a mouse in each hand just going to town. I'd feel like I was flying a fighter jet or something with a stick on each side. LoL.

I'm gonna go start building it now . . . .

d.kusummmanth@gmail.com
June 10th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I can see it now. Me laid back in my easy chair, a mouse in each hand just going to town. I'd feel like I was flying a fighter jet or something with a stick on each side. LoL.

I'm gonna go start building it now . . . .
ya, really!!!:) that would be a fighter jet experience!!!

Chokkan
June 10th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I agree that for teaching, this would be fantastic. Kids could learn and do things together with the teacher.

klange
June 10th, 2008, 11:27 AM
Old as hell.
The real news is that it's all supported by the standard X server (on git).

motin
June 11th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Old as hell.
The real news is that it's all supported by the standard X server (on git).

I agree, let's focus on getting a HOWTO going for Hardy: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=397414

elvinatom
June 11th, 2008, 05:24 PM
The concept would be cool for running one fast computer with a bunch of video cards that is operated by multiple user - evch with their own monitor/keyboard/mouse.

forrestcupp
June 11th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Wow! I've been asking for this for a long time. I have long thought it would be useful to be able to use 2 mice at once. We have two hands in real life, and I can imagine being able to use 2 mice on the computer. It would be the next best thing to multi-touch.