PDA

View Full Version : Look at my project.

yamfox
June 10th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Gamerbuntu.

A fork of Ubuntu that is both slimmed-down and maxed-out at the same time.

A fork of Ubuntu designed for gamers, this sleek OS with a dark skin comes with tons of games, as well as including Wine and the Gstreamer restricted plugins out of the box. AbiWord replaces Openoffice.org as the word processor, and VLC replaces Totem. For the GUI a mix of Gnome and Openbox is used to improve performance. To be involved, you can contact me at yamfox@gmail.com about new features you think are worthwhile adding, and/or file bug reports to help make this distro an enjoyable experience for me to make and for you to use. Remember, no downloads yet, not until I get a Sourceforge project :)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3045/2566201937_f0a5235131.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3036/2566197519_268f0ac23a.jpg

Hope you like it :lolflag:

JT9161
June 10th, 2008, 06:26 AM
This is a great idea. From the Thunderbird icon on the dektop I take it you have it alongside/in place of evolution ?

Mr. Picklesworth
June 10th, 2008, 06:34 AM
I've found that logging in to a failsafe XTerm session speeds up my performance drastically with 3D games in Wine. I haven't done benchmarks, but I would not hesitate to say it's a 2x improvement running Source (Half-Life 2) stuff.

From the sounds of this, though, you are mostly trimming down the main applications. Have you considered sleeker window managers, trimming down to only really important services... that sort of thing?

yamfox
June 10th, 2008, 06:51 AM
This is a great idea. From the Thunderbird icon on the dektop I take it you have it alongside/in place of evolution ?

Yes, Thunderbird replaces Evolution due to the fact that I simply prefer it. More changes:

*Beagle replaces Tracker as the search.
*Amarok replaces Rhythmbox
*K3B replaces Brasero
*Out of the box flash support
*Out of the box Java support.
I'll have a full list of apps later this week, but I can tell you, this will definitely be a DVD.

Here's that wallpaper:
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p50/yamfox/ubuntuhhok5-1.png

ghindo
June 10th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I would think that KDE programs would slow the system down if it's running a GNOME Desktop. Using K3B and Amarok might not be the wisest.

yamfox
June 10th, 2008, 07:11 AM
I've found that logging in to a failsafe XTerm session speeds up my performance drastically with 3D games in Wine. I haven't done benchmarks, but I would not hesitate to say it's a 2x improvement running Source (Half-Life 2) stuff.

From the sounds of this, though, you are mostly trimming down the main applications. Have you considered sleeker window managers, trimming down to only really important services... that sort of thing?
Of course a terminal session is faster... but we have to make this thing easy enough for first-time Ubuntu users to use. The Openbox-Gnome combo running on my PC right now is speed up the boot times of apps by alot. Now I'm just trying to decide what Openbox theme should be in the Preview Release, LOL

Robux the great
June 10th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I think that this is a cool idea

I have E-mailed you

Regards

Rob

Lord Xeb
June 10th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Great idea!!! Now if they would incorporate some of this into the next ubuntu release :/

Swarms
June 10th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Hey I want to know what makes it a gamerubuntu, for me it seems that the only thing you did was installing flash and codecs oob (thats cool!), and then installed some other programs which you prefer, but the audience might not.
If your goal is to give the user a better gaming experience, you should rather focus on improving wine for better compability, or giving it a huge catalogue of great native games.

yamfox
June 10th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Hey I want to know what makes it a gamerubuntu, for me it seems that the only thing you did was installing flash and codecs oob (thats cool!), and then installed some other programs which you prefer, but the audience might not.
If your goal is to give the user a better gaming experience, you should rather focus on improving wine for better compability, or giving it a huge catalog of great native games.
Yes, it will come with lots of games and the offical wine repositories are integrated into the release. As I said, I'll have the list of apps by the end of the week.

gameryoshi600
June 10th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Add Microsoft fonts because when I type up a document and send it to a friend they can't see my ubuntu fonts and that is why i installed microsoft fonts but you should have them out of the box.

yamfox
June 10th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I would think that KDE programs would slow the system down if it's running a GNOME Desktop. Using K3B and Amarok might not be the wisest.
I've been using these programs for at least 10 months on my Ubuntu laptop, and I have seen no speed change when I am using these programs. K3B simply does more than Brazero, and Amarok is by far the least frustrating music player I've used, plus it has out of the support for the new iPods.

gameryoshi600
June 10th, 2008, 02:49 PM
add the adblock plus extension for firefox too.