PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gthumb Gone

loyal one
June 10th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Hi All:

Late night here in Maine, meds are working a bit too good: removed Gthumb, for no good reason, then decided I really do like it, and reinstalled using Synaptic. But, no love tonight; Gthumb will not load. I suppose some dependency is not met or ???? It worked fine before I borked it. Any help will be appreciated.

Ubuntu Hardy 8.04
P-4 2.4 Ghz
1 Gb ram
Intel system
Loyal One
TIA

Partyboi2
June 10th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Are you having problems installing it? Or running it after it is installed? If having problems running it after install try starting it from a terminal and posting the output.

loyal one
June 10th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Partyboi2, thanks for the response.

As they say in Law and Order: "now is the time to come clean, and tell all" So, before I deleted gthumb, I discovered that there was 44,000 thubnails in .thubnails. Surely, I thought, that is just wrong; so, I removed all those files to trash, and, following an adventerous thought path, I decided that gthumb ( thumb ) had caused all this bad housekeeping. Just remove it, I reasoned, and see what happens -- not good.

I later discovered that it was Gwenview that had caused the massive bloat in .thumbnails because I had not checked the empty cashe box when closing gwenview. I was warned that this would remove .thumbnails, but so what ? And so I did, and now .thumbnails is gone.

Running gwenview in terminal results in a segmentation error. Since .thumbnails is gone, I cannot check it for ownership errors, and I do not know how to check memory errors in Linux.
Thanks again for the response, wish I could be more helpful

Loyal

Partyboi2
June 11th, 2008, 08:21 AM
have you tried purging and reinstalling those 2 packages?
sudo apt-get remove --purge <package>
sudo apt-get install <package>

You can use a package called valgrind (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Valgrind) that can help you track down segment faults.