PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Virtual Box

qbox
June 9th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Ok I read a lot texts how to fix this bug but nothing worked for me.

VirtualBox kernel driver not installed. The vboxdrv kernel module was either not loaded or /dev/vboxdrv was not created for some reason. Please install the virtualbox-ose-modules package for your kernel, e.g. virtualbox-ose-modules-generic..
VBox status code: -1908 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED).

Result Code:
0x80004005
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}

Everything worked fine until I make some update. After that I see this bug. I read a lot topics how to fix this bug, but nothing worked for me. Can someone give me one step by step how to make this to work?
Thank you.

qbox
June 12th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I try this
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/237278/comments/12

I follow all the steps.
sudo module-assistant a-i virtualbox-ose
in the log file show me alot warnings and errors.
I choose to continue.
After that I run this
qbox@qbox:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv restart
* Stopping VirtualBox kernel module vboxdrv [ OK ]
* Starting VirtualBox kernel module vboxdrv
* No suitable module for running kernel found.
qbox@qbox:~$

Please any one to give me a some solution.
Thanks

qbox
June 12th, 2008, 05:37 PM
qbox@qbox:~/Desktop$ sudo dpkg -i virtualbox_1.6.2-31466_Ubuntu_hardy_amd64.deb
(Reading database ... 170625 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking virtualbox (from virtualbox_1.6.2-31466_Ubuntu_hardy_amd64.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing virtualbox_1.6.2-31466_Ubuntu_hardy_amd64.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite `/lib/modules/2.6.24-16-rt/misc/vboxdrv.ko', which is also in package virtualbox-ose-modules-2.6.24-16-rt
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
virtualbox_1.6.2-31466_Ubuntu_hardy_amd64.deb
qbox@qbox:~/Desktop$

wolfen69
June 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM
why not remove what you have and reinstall from HERE (https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_SMI-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=innotek-1.6-G-F@CDS-CDS_SMI) 1 click install.

qbox
June 12th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I look for files to remove but files not exist.
That link didn't work for me. I receive upper error.

Vadi
June 12th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Try installing this (click (apt:virtualbox-ose-modules-2.6.24-18-generic)). Reboot, and see if virtualbox works now.

qbox
June 13th, 2008, 01:02 AM
sqbox@qbox:~$ sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose-modules-2.6.24-18-generic
[sudo] password for qbox:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package virtualbox-ose-modules-2.6.24-18-generic

Vadi
June 13th, 2008, 03:04 AM
That's strange, I have that package here.

Maybe you aren't on 8.04 or didn't enable universe or something like that? Search in synaptic for something related to a virtualbox module.

qbox
June 14th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Im on 8.04

qbox@qbox:~$ uname -a
Linux qbox 2.6.24-18-generic #1 SMP Wed May 28 19:28:38 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

In synaptic I enable all packages after that disable one by one, nothing help. Can someone give me a solution which will work?
Thx.

Vadi
June 14th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Just uninstall this virtualbox and install the one from their website would work.

qbox
June 14th, 2008, 11:07 PM
in System -> Administration -> Software Sources I choose MainServer.
I make update and I receive message that there is new updates.
In the list was 128 packets, and between was virtuelbox-ose-modules-generic (i didnt spell corectly). I was wondering why until now I didnt receive updates for virtuel box from prevision server, I receive this updates until I switch to MainServer. I said ok I will make update. After update I restart the computer. First thing I notice was that I dont have SOUND. I put the user for virtualbox in UserManager, I logout and login again. The virtual box worked great. I reboot the computer to see if everything is alright, and maybe the sound will be fixed by himself.
So I make reboot. The computer didnt turn on again. I try couple times, but after bios check computer reboot recently. After 5-6 times, I see command line for terminal login. I didnt be able to switch to graphic mode. I was on the end of madnes. I take Ubuntu 8.04 CD and reinstall the system.Now I have new installation, and I cant run again VirtualBox.
I choose mainserver again, but I cant update virtualbox-ose-modules.
Can someone tell me what to do???

qbox
June 15th, 2008, 01:03 AM
FINALY I Make it to work...
:guitar:

rarsa
November 19th, 2008, 02:04 AM
How did you make it work?

I have the same sound issue. The only way for me to fix the sound is to restore the kernel as it was before installing the vbox modules.