PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] RTL8187 working partly but I need help

AfterBerner
June 9th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Hello all. I'm fairly new to the world of linux and xubuntu seems to be a great place to start. I've got two separate Gateway Solo 2500 laptops running Hardy Herron. Both installs appear fantastic. I have only one problem with the older Pentium II 233 MHz laptop - the usb wifi network dongle does not work well. It is a generic RTL8187 chipset dongle and I was finally able to get it to see our network router, but only when I disabled the wifi security on the router. I can not get the network manager to recognize the code for the secruity. The other Solo is also using an NDISWRAPPER driven usb dongle, but it has no trouble at all connecting to the secure network. Albeit, the other dongle is not a RTL8187 chipset. I really like the ability to look at the top of the screen to see how strong a signal it thinks it's got for the wifi, but if I have to let that go, I will. Is there anything I can do to make the network manager read the wifi correctly while still keeping the roaming active? I can use the dongle on an unsecured connection, but that just won't cut it for the security of the other computers on the router. Let me know what command line code or output you need for me to produce. I've tried searching the posts, and the only options I see are getting a different usb wifi dongle or removing Network Manager and going manual (which looks a little difficult for someone coming from a win only world). HELP!:(