PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] set KDE as default DE

Xiong Chiamiov
June 9th, 2008, 07:24 PM
So, I'm a KDE 3.5 user, but I relatively often start a parallel GNOME session so that I can see the same thing as people here on the forums. The other part of this is that I have myself logged in automatically when Kubuntu boots. So then, if GNOME was the last thing I logged into, I'll start my computer and come back to a GNOME desktop, when I really always want KDE unless I specify otherwise. I know that I can change which *dm is used to display the login screen, but that doesn't help. Is there a way to do what I'm wanting?

Xiong Chiamiov
June 11th, 2008, 01:15 AM
bump

editrix
June 12th, 2008, 02:00 PM
You probably won't like this answer, but it's a bad idea to log in automatically. Sometimes you need one of the other options on the login menu, like going into console mode.

As far as I know, the only way to do what you want is to log in with the password.

Xiong Chiamiov
June 12th, 2008, 06:40 PM
*sigh*, okay. Personally, the only times I want to log into some other mode are
a) I screwed up my X config file again. In that case, I use ctrl+alt+f1 to get to a text prompt.
b) I'm assisting someone who doesn't use KDE 3. I'm still using my KDE desktop, but just need to log into a different one as well, which I'm allowed to do by starting a new session.

I guess I'll just have to remember to log out and back in to KDE after having logged into something else.

issih
June 12th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Don't know if this will work, especially as you may be using kdm rather than gdm, but from the gdm login screem, if you select a session (e.g. kde) then log in, it pops up a dialog saying you have changed the session, and gives you the option to run it just for this session, cancel or make it the default.

If you make it the default I'd have thought that would achieve what you wanted. As for logging in automatically, yes its less secure, but its your pc, so its up to you, you know the risks :)

Alternative, at least under gnome is to go to System->Administration->Login Window, and select the default session under the general tab.

I'd let you know where that hides under kde's menu's, but I haven't got it installed on the laptop :p sorry