PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Support

Samuel
October 26th, 2005, 05:38 PM
The support for ubuntu in these forums is outstanding, for 5 years i have been trying to get into linux but always ran up against something i couldnt not do and ran back to windows.
From RPM problems to ati drivers to having no sound i constantly ran into brick walls. I have tried many distros but the reason i fully swithced to ubuntu is because of the superb knowledge and help to be found here.
This post is just a thanks to everyone who has posted a howto: or answered a question someone had, thankyou :D

mlomker
October 26th, 2005, 05:43 PM
You're welcome. I'm with Ubuntu for the same reason--it's the first distro that I've been able to get to work to my satisfaction. Since figuring out my own install I've stuck around and done my best to help others.

There are still a lot of things that could be easier--video, sound, webcams, and multimedia in general. Those really aren't Ubuntu problems, though, those are linux problems.

Brunellus
October 26th, 2005, 06:47 PM
You're welcome. I'm with Ubuntu for the same reason--it's the first distro that I've been able to get to work to my satisfaction. Since figuring out my own install I've stuck around and done my best to help others.

There are still a lot of things that could be easier--video, sound, webcams, and multimedia in general. Those really aren't Ubuntu problems, though, those are linux problems.
they're not really linux problems, they're hardware vendor problems....

blastus
October 26th, 2005, 08:34 PM
This forum is the thing that kept me coming back. It was especially Ubuntu's mission statement. You gotta love this:

The Ubuntu community is built on the ideas enshrined in the Ubuntu Manifesto: that software should be available free of charge, that software tools should be usable by people in their local language and despite any disabilities, and that people should have the freedom to customise and alter their software in whatever way they see fit. :D

Oh and Ubuntu will always be free of charge! :D

Ubuntu was the first distribution that I actually got ANYTHING to work on it. It was really the Ubuntu Starter Guide that got me going. That combined with the intuitiveness and simplicity of apt-get and Synaptic that Debian-based distributions have, sold me.

Ubuntu got me into Linux about two months ago. I switched from Windows to Mepis about two months ago, but it was really the knowledge I gained about Debian and Linux from these forums that allowed me to do that. Since Mepis and Ubuntu are both Debian-based, most of the knowledge between the two can be shared. I learned a lot of things from Mepis that I applied to Ubuntu and vice versa. Now I just switched my main OS from Mepis to Kubuntu yesterday. :)