PDA

View Full Version : Galeon to merge with Epiphany

23meg
October 26th, 2005, 05:36 PM
http://gnomedesktop.org/node/2450

It seems after the 2.0 release Galeon will be no more and the Galeon team will contribute to Epiphany instead, in the form of a set of extensions and some main tree code as well. I normally favor multitude of choices, but in the case of Epiphany / Galeon a lot of it seemed like double work anyway, so merging sounds logical.

xequence
October 26th, 2005, 10:17 PM
I havent used galeon, only epiphany, but if there are more people working on the browser built for gnome, it can only be better.

23meg
October 27th, 2005, 01:00 AM
It's a very nice browser, but it's more or less Epiphany with a few advanced features thrown in. But actually Epiphany was a derivative of it in the first place.

TravisNewman
October 27th, 2005, 01:27 AM
Yeah, I like this idea. Galeon and Epiphany both have things that I want. Can't wait to see the next version.

Lovechild
October 27th, 2005, 02:12 AM
an excellent idea, I was early on the epiphany train but Galeon was one of my first browser loves.

poofyhairguy
October 27th, 2005, 02:39 AM
I hope it adds the menu flexibility of Galeon with the slickness of Epiphany.

benplaut
October 27th, 2005, 03:20 AM
jdong... fire up those backports... everyone will want the new epiphany :P

bleh... i seem to be the only one on the forums not impressed by galeon, not impressed by flock, not impressed by opera...

firefox fits me best :)

eyebrowman92
November 11th, 2005, 11:37 PM
i also like firefox the best. opera is alright and epiphany just seems so..cold like something almost missing.

etc
November 11th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Good, epiphany is a really nice browser.
I'd make the switch but I use too many firefox extensions.

majikstreet
November 12th, 2005, 12:09 AM
yep..

I use firefox extensions too....... I really can't stand anything that's not firefox.... Epiphany took a long time to open up when I had 256 RAM, but if it was quicker, I could see that I'd be using it.