PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Trouble installing Xubuntu on Gateway Solo 5150

INsaneJuly
June 9th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I'm having trouble installing Xubuntu (8.04 using either installer), on a Gateway Solo 5150 Laptop. ](*,)

It has a 4GB HD, and 64 MB of RAM. I am not sure if maybe I am simply just asking too much to have this system run Xubuntu or if there is something I am doing incorrectly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! [-o<

Roo
August 21st, 2008, 02:20 AM
Generally the requirements for Ubuntu are greater than the machine you've specified.

I have a simlar Solo 5150 and run puppy linux on it - so far this is the best OS choice for this machine that I've found.

Roo

snowpine
August 21st, 2008, 03:31 PM
The minimum RAM requirements for Xubuntu 8.04 are 192mb using the Live CD and 128mb using the Alternate CD. There is also a Minimal Install that just installs the command line, then you can install a lightweight windows manager on top of that (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal#barebones). It should work on 64mb, however, there is a bug that causes it to hang at 92% (generating locales). :(

You might have better luck with Puppy.

INsaneJuly
March 5th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Thank you both Roo and snowpine! I would have preferred to stick with Ubuntu, or a variant thereof, but after reading both your posts and weighing my options I decided Puppy Linux was my best option.

It works like a charm, my friend is really happy with his "new" laptop!:KS