PDA

View Full Version : [other] LiveUSB install with no GUI, possible?

slackthumbz
June 9th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Hello, I'm trying to find out if it is possible to create a small installer to fit on a USB key that would give me the flexibility to not install a graphical interface by default.

The reason for this is that I'm trying to build an extremely cut down install for my laptop. All I want, to begin with, is a system that has all the drivers I need, primarily intel hardware and laptop support working - I don't need network manager, I intend to use WicD once I set up the desktop.

Ultimately I hope to build an installer that will allow me to set up a system based on Enlightenment DR16 with no frills, i.e network manager, extra apps. I just want to be able to log into an e16 desktop, open a terminal and start carefully adding applications to avoid as much cruft as possible.

I was considering using isotostick.sh and an ubuntu server image to get the virtually headless system but am unsure as to whether or not the server image uses the generic kernel or not.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions I would be most grateful.
Thanks and best regards,
Slackthumbz

Vadi
June 9th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I think the Alternate CD is what you're looking for.

bearslumber
June 9th, 2008, 02:00 PM
How much storage does your USB hold?

I ask this because I have installed the UBUNTU 8.04 Hardy Heron all inclusively on my 8gb USB stick.

Before that I had used other distributions which with even the KDE Gui only had a 200Mb maximum footprint.

I decided upon UBUNTU because of the built in "sudo" command, but ofcourse needed a larger USB.

After a few intallation hitches, now works perfectly.

See my post http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5146763&postcount=1214
for details.

Hope this helps.

Bearslumber