PDA

View Full Version : MPAA want to disable your dvdr from recording the newest movies from cable tv

billgoldberg
June 9th, 2008, 08:41 AM
At the request of theatrical film makers, the Federal Communications Commission on Friday quietly launched a proceeding on whether to let video program distributors remotely block consumers from recording recently released movies on their DVRs. The technology that does this is called Selectable Output Control (SOC), but the FCC restricts its use. The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) wants a waiver on that restriction in the case of high-definition movies broadcast prior to their release as DVDs.

Link (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080608-mpaa-wants-to-stop-dvrs-from-recording-some-movies.html)

Don't they never learn?

I wonder if this will phenomenon will cross the Atlantic?

I don't watch tv when stuff gets broadcasted, I record stuff (not on dvdr but using my decoder) and then watch it when I feel like it. If they wouldn't let me record a movie from MY tv --> torrent

http://static.thepiratebay.org/doodles/jubil2007.jpg

FuturePilot
June 9th, 2008, 08:46 AM
*sigh* It's getting to the point that something like this doesn't surprise me anymore. Pretty sad isn't it?

billgoldberg
June 9th, 2008, 09:38 AM
It is.

graabein
June 9th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Only in America! I hope!

SunnyRabbiera
June 9th, 2008, 11:37 AM
This is why VHS isnt quite dead yet.

Sunflower1970
June 9th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Don't they get it? This will just push more and more people to use torrents, or other alternative means to watch the shows. I'll bet it'll push people who would have never even thought to use a torrent (or other means) to look into it and use it.

Midwest-Linux
June 9th, 2008, 01:25 PM
This is why VHS isnt quite dead yet.

Amen, that old fashioned analog relic from the 80's is my mainstay for time shifting. Tapes are still available and cheap. No subscription fees, no hard drive failures or programming glitches. Plus a new VCR can be had for $40. Quality? Well as long as I can watch the program, quality is never a issue.

Bigtime_Scrub
June 9th, 2008, 01:31 PM
I wonder what the excuse for this will be? I suppose since its a copyright using your DVR is considered piracy? Never mind you paid for it, heaven forbid you actually get to watch it when you want to.

O wait, that's not the issue. How dare you not watch boring commercials when watching live TV.

SupaSonic
June 9th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Time will come when the TV ratings will be judged by the amounts of seeds and peers.