PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install on a simi old PC

TrackTrack
June 9th, 2008, 08:26 AM
To start i love ubuntu and the way it work's. So here is the deal i just got this simi old 2003, "i think" HP with a 120gb hard drive, it did have windows on it at one time or when i got it, "i hate to say this but i did try to re-install windows "
Fact 1. just did not have the time to get any thing the way i want'ed but now not so busy, i said ill download and install ubuntu
it seem's to be going good but now at the point Copy-ing Files....
and it stay's at 54% i did do a clean install all the way thou

i think it might be my PC but just to be safe ill ask,

Thank you

zvacet
June 9th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Did you checked md5sum (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM) and afer burning iso on CD did you check disc integrity ( you can see that option when you boot)?How much ram do you have?

argail1980
June 9th, 2008, 10:14 AM
You could also use another Install CD, i.e. the alternate CD. I had these kinds of problems also (Install getting stuck at somewhat around 60%, funny errors). I worked for me to just try again two or three times. I know this is kind of a *******-like approach, but in the end it helped.

zvacet
June 9th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I know this is kind of a *******-like approach, but in the end it helped.

Installing with alternate CD isnīt windowslike in any way.One of reasons of using alternate CD isto be able to install Ubuntu on older comps.If you donīt have enough ram you can install Xubuntu (http://www.xubuntu.org/) with alternate CD.

Habbit
June 9th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Are you sure your CD medium/drive is OK? I've had some problems of my own with an oldish Creative CD drive that tried to read faster than it could. Sooner or later, it would make the Live CD go down. I checked the CD with the "verify this CD" boot option and it would spit lots of errors, but another computer would pass it, so I determined it was the CD reader and replaced it. 20 € well spent.

argail1980
June 9th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Installing with alternate CD isnīt windowslike

I meant the approach to try again if it gets stuck..

TrackTrack
June 9th, 2008, 06:18 PM
"CD did you check disc integrity"
Well like the slow one i'am nope, and it was the CD i knew it was not Ubuntu but i was think-ing it could have been the hdd, and nope! Just the CD i'am on the 2003 hp PC with Ubuntu and it work's great like alway's sorry guy's if i was not to blunt about what was going on but still busy,

Thank you to the user's for your reply's and help,