PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the majority of Linux users also use Windows?

BrokeBody
June 9th, 2008, 06:51 AM
The majority of those who use some Linux distribution also use Windows.

Agree or disagree? Post your opinions.

It doesn't matter why you dual boot. Whether you're locked into some windows-only software or not, the fact still remains, from my experience and point of view, that a lot of people dual boot.

As for Wine, it is well known that some major software, mostly "heavy" one (Photoshop, Sound Forge, AutoCAD, ...), can't give you the same output quality as they can under Windows (it depends on how far your project/work goes).

Voting is based on your experience - polls that you've visited related to this (like this one (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=823759), for instance), articles that you've read related to this, your personal notice about this (from all people you know in person who use Linux, how many of them also use Windows), ...

http://digg.com/linux_unix/The_majority_of_Linux_users_also_use_Windows

fissionmailed
June 9th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I only use Windows if I HAVE to. I always feel dirty using windows. I use *nix 99% of the time. It's not that I hate windows...

perlluver
June 9th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I do not use Windows, it is not on my computer and I will not put it back on my computer.

Vicfred
June 9th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I use it only to play I'd wish linux have directx 10 =(

RiceMonster
June 9th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I voted "Not sure". I know a lot of Linux users are dual booting but I'm not sure if it's the majority. I myself use purely Linux.

lisati
June 9th, 2008, 07:03 AM
If I could be sure that I could use the video editing software I spent megabucks on under Wine, I would remove Windows from my desktop. Just too lazy to try!

Windows recently removed from my laptop which is mostly Ubuntu with a small FreeDos partition.

2cute4u
June 9th, 2008, 07:05 AM
With the exception of web browsing a little bit in the library, I've NEVER used windows (and even the I was using firefox). There is not and never will be a windows partition on my computer.
:guitar:

BrokeBody
June 9th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I voted "Not sure". I know a lot of Linux users are dual booting but I'm not sure if it's the majority.

From all people that I know who use Linux, most of them also have Windows. ;)

kvk
June 9th, 2008, 07:06 AM
I have Windows XP on a school laptop, but run Ubuntu on my home machines. As soon as I have the technical ability to produce compatible formats for grad. school needs on a Linux platform (so my committee can read what I send them!), and the funding to purchase some Linux-platform modeling software, then I'll wipe the laptop and install Linux on that one as well.

lisati
June 9th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I have Windows XP on a school laptop, but run Ubuntu on my home machines. As soon as I have the technical ability to produce compatible formats for grad. school needs on a Linux platform (so my committee can read what I send them!), and the funding to purchase some Linux-platform modeling software, then I'll wipe the laptop and install Linux on that one as well.

Open Office can save files in formats used by "that other" office suite......it's under the "Save As" on the file menu for the first time you save a file.

FuturePilot
June 9th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I still have Windows on my hard drive but I almost never use it. Ubuntu is my primary OS.

p_quarles
June 9th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Virtually any desk job is going to put you in front of a Windows computer for part of your day. This is my main interaction with Windows at this point.

I also have a virtual machine with XP on it, but it gets used pretty rarely.

HunterThomson
June 9th, 2008, 07:19 AM
When I first got my laptop I turned it on and made sure all the hardware was working. Then downloaded fedora and wiped my HDD of the window$ worm. Then a week latter downloaded Ubuntu and wiped my HDD of the fedora hell. I wiped my friends computer of the window$ worm and installed Xubuntu. I am going to wipe another friends computer of the window$ worm next weekend and install Ubuntu:)

BrokeBody
June 9th, 2008, 07:21 AM
http://digg.com/linux_unix/The_majority_of_Linux_users_also_use_Windows

Just trying to make the source. ;)

ladr0n
June 9th, 2008, 07:22 AM
At my high school, there were (by the end of my senior year) at least 10 people running some form of linux (usually ubuntu) on the laptops they brought to school. Myself and two others did not even have windows installed, but only one of them ever actually booted windows. The install disc can set up a dual boot "automatically" for all practical purposes. When they have several hundred GB on their hard drive, most users simply won't be moved to get rid of a windows partition, even if they don't use it.

wdaniels
June 9th, 2008, 07:27 AM

From my experience it's pretty even now, but if anything I'd say the opposite. A few years ago, I think there would definitely be a majority dual-booting Windows, but Linux has come a long way on the desktop in recent years and I know a lot of people who have found that they just never needed to boot into Windows any longer and eventually just deleted it.

newbie-user
June 9th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I only use windows for windows-only software that won't run well under wine and for doing tech support for clients with windows boxes. Other than that, linux does everything I need, and does it better than windows.

kelvin spratt
June 9th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I still have XP as I can't be bothered to reformat my Hardrive and use linux 100% of the time on my second H/Drive.

BrokeBody
June 9th, 2008, 08:03 AM
It doesn't matter why you dual boot. Whether you're locked into some windows-only software or not, the fact still remains, from my experience and point of view, that a lot of people dual boot.

Jim March
June 9th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Dual-boot is a crutch for those who either can't figure out Virtualbox/VMWare/whatever, or are hardcore gamers.

For most people, if they are stuck on one or more winapps OR they have to support Windows users, an XP VM is the way to go. You can back up the VM with the rest of /home because the whole XP (or whatever) image sits on a single file within the Linux OS. Worst case, if the VM gets infected it can be nuked and re-installed in a heartbeat. Nothing that happens within the VM can affect your Linux boot sectors.

BrokeBody
June 9th, 2008, 08:31 AM
As for Wine, it is well known that some major software, mostly "heavy" one (Photoshop, Sound Forge, AutoCAD, ...), can't give you the same output quality as they can under Windows.

tompickles
June 9th, 2008, 08:35 AM
I have a windows partition - but won't be getting rid of it because it's a pain to re-install it if I ever had to because of licencing.......

Flag
June 9th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Not sure, use Linux on my private machines,but need Windows XP under VM to use my slides scanner, in the office it is Windows.

ghindo
June 9th, 2008, 08:58 AM
I still use Windows for GAEMAN.

I don't understand how people who use computers on a regular basis don't come into contact with Windows. After all, it's still 90%+ of the market, right?

jymbob
June 9th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I only use Linux (at least on x86 architecture) at home, so disagreed. I don't count computers I have no control over, and was surprised to see others thinking about their work computers.
I'm typing this at work on XP, but don't consider myself someone who 'uses Windows', just as if it were a Mac, I wouldn't consider myself an OS X user.

aninaiian
June 9th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I can't really say... I only know three or possibly four other people that use Linux with only one person using it as his main OS.

Personally, I only use Linux (of some sort) on my home desktop and personal laptop which is now a desktop as the backlight isn't working. However, there are two Windows machines at my house for the rest of the family which I maintain, and I use Windows at work.

NineKnuckles
June 9th, 2008, 09:45 AM
No offense BrokeBody, but I don't like the way you've worded your poll. You say the reason for doing this poll is so you can say you have a source for the fact that 'most linux users dual boot or depend on windows in some way'. Don't get me wrong, that could very well be true. But instead of asking if we agree with you, why don't you ask pollers the quetion - 'Do you dual boot / only use a linux distro on its own? Overwise it's just a group of opinions (eg. "yes I think that..." or "no I don't think"). If you want a source to back something up, it should be as factual as possible.

rune0077
June 9th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Windows is off my computer for good. I do run Vista in VirtualBox but it happens very rarely.

angry_johnnie
June 9th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I don't think so...

I have windows in one of my two computers, and Linux in both. I keep windows because there are some really good programs I use every now and then, but my primary OS is Linux.

I don't entirely disagree with the possibility that a majority of Linux users are dual booting. It is the other statement you made --that the majority of those who dual boot use Windows as their primary OS-- that I don't agree with.

But then, that's just my opinion. I guess if you want some clear results you should make a poll, not about people's opinions, but about their computing habits: who is using what, and how.

graabein
June 9th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I dual boot because City Of Heroes (super hero MMO) does not run 100% on Wine and I've had problems configuring tv-out the way I want it (but getting closer all the time). So yes, I dual boot, but I don't agree on this part here:

The majority of those who use some Linux distribution also use Windows on their machine. The majority of those who dual boot use Windows as their primary OS.

If you're not going to sneak it in there then let the poll options reflect the question.

Matakoo
June 9th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Depends on how you count. You can't, for example, count computers that you have no control over (i.e. campus computer labs, work computers). If you count such computers of course most people would still be using Windows in some way whether they want to or not.

On your own computer it's another matter entirely. I have two computers, and none of them is running windows or windows-only software in any shape or form (that is, no dual boot, no vmware, no wine). And if it was up to me, I would never again see a Windows desktop.

Of course, I have no way of knowing how common that is. It is certainly possible that you're right but a poll like this won't provide an answer one way or the other. It is just a bunch of opinions that may or may not be representative of Linux users as a whole.

Matakoo
June 9th, 2008, 12:12 PM
As for Wine, it is well known that some major software, mostly "heavy" one (Photoshop, Sound Forge, AutoCAD, ...), can't give you the same output quality as they can under Windows.

Is it? Source please. When I still had wine installed I tried Photoshop CS2 and as far as I could tell there was no difference.

Rhapsody
June 9th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Well, not so sure about the others, but I don't.

Robux the great
June 9th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I am proud to announce that Linux is my only OS

I dumped windows a while ago

Regards

Rob

joninkrakow
June 9th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I don't! I use Mac. ;-)

And I stopped dual-booting it when I got this cheap Dell laptop, onto which I immediately installed Puppy and Ubuntu--no Windows in sight! (other than the cruddy 4 gig hard drive that came with it, and which I promptly removed. I booted this Dell into Windows maybe twice, and that was enough for me! No Windows here--only *nix.

-Jon

jacktar
June 9th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I have no need for Windows, Linux has everything I require.

BrokeBody
June 9th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Is it? Source please. When I still had wine installed I tried Photoshop CS2 and as far as I could tell there was no difference.

Yes, it is. It depends on how far your project/work goes.

FranMichaels
June 9th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Yes, it is. It depends on how far your project/work goes.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2631

Looking at the wine appdb Photoshop CS2 things look pretty good. If you know of a concrete issue let the wine team know so it can be fixed!

Anyway, no dual boot, Windows wiped. I had kept XP in a qemu image for a while, but deleted it as well (needed space.)

Wine runs the odd Windows compatible program I need every now and then.

With that, I submit that the more Linux users that have their needs met by alternative software AND/OR can get their Windows compatible software running acceptably well in Wine will no longer need to dual boot.

hessiess
June 9th, 2008, 04:52 PM
whanever I have the option I use Linux.windows is of little use to me.

jimrz
June 9th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Though the title of the poll does not say it your explanation of the question stated that most who dual boot use win as their primary OS, therefore I voted disagree. I use ubuntu as my primary OS (only OS on most machines) on the 2 boxes that I have dual booting and most of the folks I know who use dual boot do the same.

renfrew
June 9th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Myself I voted unsure. I have one machine that my wife and I use exclusively 8.04 on, a sandox system which currently has win2k (changes frequently, had puppy linux on it last week) on it and my wife's laptop runs vista ( came pre-installed and she seems to like it). My workplace is a mixed bag of Win2k and win98 so I still see MS products whereever I go, sigh

aaaantoine
June 9th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Though the title of the poll does not say it your explanation of the question stated that most who dual boot use win as their primary OS, therefore I voted disagree. I use ubuntu as my primary OS (only OS on most machines) on the 2 boxes that I have dual booting and most of the folks I know who use dual boot do the same.

I also vote disagree, for the same reason. Incidentally, I do not dual-boot into Windows. I only VM into Windows due to the lack of easy-to-setup SQL Server Management tools for Linux.

No offense BrokeBody, but I don't like the way you've worded your poll. You say the reason for doing this poll is so you can say you have a source for the fact that 'most linux users dual boot or depend on windows in some way'. Don't get me wrong, that could very well be true. But instead of asking if we agree with you, why don't you ask pollers the quetion - 'Do you dual boot / only use a linux distro on its own? Overwise it's just a group of opinions (eg. "yes I think that..." or "no I don't think"). If you want a source to back something up, it should be as factual as possible.

For this reason, I shall take the liberty of burying your Digg link. Try again with a proper poll, and I will support it.

BrokeBody
June 9th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Looking at the wine appdb Photoshop CS2 things look pretty good. If you know of a concrete issue let the wine team know so it can be fixed!

Shoot a photo with some of the Canon's camera, for instance. Then, use Canon's plug-in for Photoshop to export that picture in its raw format. Then try retouching that picture in raw. ;)

This has nothing to do with Wine. The process itself is just too handy in terms of performance when it comes to virtualization like this one, thus the output quality can not always be as same as on Windows. As I said before, it depends on how far your project/work goes.

So, I didn't say that something is not working and that it needs to be fixed.

aysiu
June 9th, 2008, 06:11 PM
This poll is silly. Why are you asking if people agree or disagree? What does it matter if people agree or disagree?

It'd be far more useful (for the purposes of gaining any insight into the question at hand) to ask if the people looking at this thread also use Windows.

FranMichaels
June 9th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Shoot a photo with some of the Canon's camera, for instance. Then, use Canon's plug-in for Photoshop to export that picture in its raw format. Then try retouching that picture in raw. ;)

This has nothing to do with Wine. The process itself is just too handy in terms of performance when it comes to virtualization like this one, thus the output quality can not always be as same as on Windows. As I said before, it depends on how far your project/work goes.

Well I don't have photoshop, or a a digital canon camera that lets me have stuff in raw (although maybe there will be some Free firmware one day? since the camera converts raw to jpg but I can't do a thing about it...)

Wine's overhead in this seems insignificant though. It's not a full on emulator like running in qemu, vmware, or virtualbox. It isn't a virtualizer and doesn't have that performance penalty.

A windows app running in wine may run faster on the same machine than under windows itself. Not to mention a powerful computer wouldn't have issue with this either.

Just because a program is cpu or memory intensive, this actually makes Wine the best candidate. Wine is not a VM.
Overall wine benchmarks
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=wine_feb08_tests&num=1

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=5547641

If someone could do a test around the 1.0 release, that would be great I think.

Matakoo
June 9th, 2008, 06:21 PM

I have never used that particular plugin so I'll take your word for it, but the reasoning is flawed IMO. If I were one of the wine developers, that is EXACTLY the kind of feedback I would want: specific circumstances where the compatibility is lacking and thus, a pointer to where to improve the wine code-base.

Then again, I'm not at all sure what you mean with "the process itself is just too handy in terms of performance". Do you mean that the translation needed to get a windows program to run in linux is too processor hungry for it to work properly? If so, you're badly mistaken. Even if the translation would impose a penalty in performance that would only mean it would take longer to process the picture when running using wine. The output would be the same. Since, according to you, it isn't I can only come to the conclusion that wine needs to be improved to get the plugin more compatible with the wine/photoshop combination.

BrokeBody
June 9th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Well I don't have photoshop, or a a digital canon camera that lets me have stuff in raw (although maybe there will be some Free firmware one day? since the camera converts raw to jpg but I can't do a thing about it...)

There's no point in converting a photo in jpg and then editing it. That way the quality drastically drops down on both Windows and Linux with Wine. The point is totally opposite - to edit the raw then export to jpg. But mind that now, I said "mostly "heavy" software (Photoshop, Sound Forge, AutoCAD, ...)" and that's a fact. Ask any professional who drains 100% from those apps.

Wine is not a VM.

But it does, however, virtualize (emulates) Win32. ;)

FranMichaels
June 9th, 2008, 06:32 PM
There's no point in converting a photo in jpg and then editing it. That way the quality drastically drops down on both Windows and Linux with Wine. The point is totally opposite - to edit the raw then export to jpg. But mind that now, I said "mostly "heavy" software (Photoshop, Sound Forge, AutoCAD, ...)" and that's a fact. Ask any professional who drains 100% from those apps.

But it does, however, virtualize (emulates) Win32. ;)

Well I know, as my camera works with raw, it takes the photo in raw. But, I can never access it. It automatically stores it as jpeg. Only a more expensive camera lets you keep the raw as is (or hacking the firmware)

This explains it.

http://www.linux.com/feature/118946

Basically deals with removing the "anti-features" of a lower end camera like mine.

Emulating win32 (and win16) in this case is imitiating it, and making it function the same way. It is not emulating a video card, ram, hard disk, cpu, etc as virtualizer or emulators do. Wine is acting as an interpreter in this case. So I stand by my statement.

I did find benchmarks showing wine can beat Windows in some cases, and that someone has put CS2 through the wringer on their machine, and it was usable.

The main point here, is that Windows isn't required for that heavy duty app to perform acceptably. Diction aside. :)

P.S. Any professionals please come forward. Ask Disney why they run photoshop on Wine instead of Windows :) Seriously though, any professional artists and musicians using a heavy duty app in Wine and Linux rather than Windows? I've heard of sound professionals using JACK and such due to high latency in Windows (especially Vista.) Real life examples welcome!

BreakDecks
June 9th, 2008, 06:41 PM
This poll is far too subjective.

A question such as "do you run Windows in addition to Linux?" would provide a much more reliable answer.

BrokeBody
June 9th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Only a more expensive camera lets you keep the raw as is

That's what I'm talking about here - Pros who use those heavy apps at their max.

Emulating win32 (and win16) in this case is imitiating it, and making it function the same way. It is not emulating a video card, ram, hard disk, cpu, etc as virtualizer or emulators do. Wine is acting as an interpreter in this case. So I stand by my statement.

Err... No, actually.

Rather than acting as a full emulator, Wine implements a compatibility layer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibility_layer), providing alternative implementations of the DLLs that Windows programs call, and processes to substitute for the Windows NT kernel.

The main point here, is that Windows isn't required for that heavy duty app to perform acceptably.

No, it is not required. But, some people (those mentioned above :) ) don't need just "acceptable". ;)

aysiu
June 9th, 2008, 06:51 PM
This poll is far too subjective.

A question such as "do you run Windows in addition to Linux?" would provide a much more reliable answer.
I've created a more useful poll here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=823759).

FranMichaels
June 9th, 2008, 07:17 PM
That's what I'm talking about here - Pros who use those heavy apps at their max.

Right, but I don't have that and can't test it for myself. It may work fantastically. or not.

Err... No, actually.

Rather than acting as a full emulator, Wine implements a compatibility layer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibility_layer), providing alternative implementations of the DLLs that Windows programs call, and processes to substitute for the Windows NT kernel.

That is basically what I've said. The only "emulating" is of those dlls and it's a re-implementation. That is the case of the mimicking and the compatibility layer itself is the "interpreter" Low overhead is the main point though. Calling Wine an emulator or virtualizer is my objection and associating performance of those types of software with Wine is fallacious.

No, it is not required. But, some people (those mentioned above :) ) don't need just "acceptable". ;)

It is no way a guarantee that Windows is best the solution overall just because an application is designed to run on it.

I feel like this is going in circles. I will say this though.

If you don't want to run Windows period, or reboot just to use a few Windows applications (whatever they may be...) and wine can run it, it is the best choice when it comes to performance. when you need 100% compatibility but with overhead, then go with an emulator or virtualizer.

Lastly, the fact people do this, and large companies as well, regardless of whether it is for money or efficiencies' sake shows there is a demand for the software on a different platform.

I would love nothing more to see benchmarks, of machines of the same specification, showing a native linux version of photoshop, autocad, etc versus native win32 of photoshop, autocad, etc on Vista.

There has to be a way to show demand, and just dual booting isn't much of an impetus for companies to make a port IMHO.

kaldor
June 9th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I use Linux most of the time.

I use XP for Quake III and Jedi Academy only. If I could get directx working on Linux I'd never touch Windows again.

aysiu
June 9th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Well so far my poll (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=823759) has gotten only 29 votes, but no one has voted that they run Windows and Linux equally or that they run Windows more than Linux, and almost 60% use Linux exclusively at home.

tbrminsanity
June 9th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I suppose that most people who use Linux also are in the IT industry, and since 90% of the computers out there are Windows computers it makes sense that most IT professionals have to work on a Windows computer. So connecting the dots, most Linux users are forced to use Windows computers (most likely at work). That being said there is also the Linux gaming groups that would also use Windows (because unfortunately Windows has more commercial games then Linux).

KingTermite
June 9th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I wager that about 50% of the Linux users that still use Windows only do so because they already had it and didn't see a need to "dump it" when they had already purchased it when trying Linux.

It's already there, and "free" such that they don't have to go out and buy it because they already have it.

BrokeBody
June 9th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Well so far my poll (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=823759) has gotten only 29 votes, but no one has voted that they run Windows and Linux equally or that they run Windows more than Linux, and almost 60% use Linux exclusively at home.

Well, so far only 28.57% run Linux only and the rest, the majority, use Windows also. ;)

aysiu
June 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Well, so far only 28.57% run Linux only and the rest, the majority, use Windows also. ;)
So you're counting people who have to run Windows for work?

That's lame.

Why don't we just retitle the thread "a lot of Linux users are forced to use Windows at work or in school"?

BrokeBody
June 9th, 2008, 08:03 PM
So you're counting people who have to run Windows for work?

Yes.

That's lame.

From my perspective, not for what I need.

Why don't we just retitle the thread "a lot of Linux users are forced to use Windows at work or in school"?

Fine by me. That would still help me in what I'm looking for.

aysiu
June 9th, 2008, 08:08 PM
From my perspective, not for what I need. What do you need? To make outlandish statements in order to get more attention paid to your Digg posting?

gameryoshi600
June 9th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I don't. I wanted it off. when I started I never did a dual boot as I would have to give windows the most space >_>

BrokeBody
June 9th, 2008, 08:25 PM
What do you need? To make outlandish statements in order to get more attention paid to your Digg posting?

Dig wasn't necessary at all. I just wanted to link this poll somewhere where more people could get to it (those who are not members of this forum). As for me, it could've been Buzz, it doesn't really matter.

Matakoo
June 9th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Yes.

From my perspective, not for what I need.

Which is what exactly? What's the point in trying to "prove" that most people, regardless if they want to or not, have to use Windows at work/school ? Hardly something that needs to be proved, is it?

BrokeBody
June 9th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Hardly something that needs to be proved, is it?

Of course.

But I just might ruin all the "fun" if I tell ya. :)

FFighter
June 9th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Don't think so.

Don't know how it is today, but generally, the majority of Linux users are GNU/FOSS "fanatics" (with all due respect) and won't even touch Windows.

Ubuntu and other more user-friendly distros. came to change this scene, IMHO.

I use Windows a lot, yet and will probably use in the foreseeable future as I love gaming on the PC.

cardinals_fan
June 9th, 2008, 10:06 PM
I'm confused by the question. Instead of asking whether I dual-boot, it asks whether most people do. How do I know whether most people use Windows? Isn't the point of the poll to find out?

BrokeBody
June 9th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I'm confused by the question. Instead of asking whether I dual-boot, it asks whether most people do. How do I know whether most people use Windows? Isn't the point of the poll to find out?

Voting is based on your experience - polls that you've visited related to this (like this one (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=823759), for instance), articles that you've read related to this, your personal notice about this (from all people you know in person who use Linux, how many of them also use Windows), ...

x1a4
June 9th, 2008, 11:12 PM
When I started using Linux I only used it as a novelty, but as time went on I found myself using Linux more and more, until finally I was using Linux exclusively. Eventualy I was running out of disk space on Linux, so I wiped the windows drive and never looked back.

inportb
June 9th, 2008, 11:18 PM
My major reason for using Windows in the past was that Photoshop didn't work that well on Linux. Now that CS2 works great on Linux (and I don't need CS3), I haven't touched Windows for a while.

FFighter
June 10th, 2008, 05:49 PM
My major reason for using Windows in the past was that Photoshop didn't work that well on Linux. Now that CS2 works great on Linux (and I don't need CS3), I haven't touched Windows for a while.

I thought so when when it first loaded completely without errors and showed the interface without apparent quirks. I confess I was amazed. But it does not run it so greatly yet.

If you start demanding more from it, it will start to show its quirks and bugs and you will eventually have to use it on a Windows VM or dedicated Windows partition.

Sorry, wine is not yet ready for prime-time, getting there, but not yet.

tbrminsanity
June 10th, 2008, 08:35 PM

If I go by my experience then I should say my main OS is Amgia OS 1.3 (developed with it for almost 15 years). I voted based on my current situation (Debian based OSs for everything except the one Windows machine at my client site). If I had my choice I would use Linux for everything.

Matakoo
June 10th, 2008, 09:13 PM
If I go by my experience then I should say my main OS is Amgia OS 1.3 (developed with it for almost 15 years).

1.3?? When 3.9 has been out for so long? Still, I don't use my Amiga(s) much anymore regretably, but they will always have a soft spot here...

And in a way, AmigaOS is very similar to Linux. Linux is better in almost all respects, but they have one very important thing in common (for me that is): they are both capable of being both a tool and a fun hobby. Windows is, IMO, only good for the first (certainly VERY important but I prefer my computer to be both productive and fun). Not counting the availability, or lack thereof, of games here by the way.

AndyCooll
June 10th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I voted "Agree" on the basis that while all my home laptops and pc's run Linux I have to use Windows at work and I reckon there are plenty in similar scenarios to me.

It wouldn't surprise me if many users dual-boot, have another pc running Windows or virtualise. And even if you run Linux only at home (like myself), a considerable portion of those have to use Windows at work.

:cool:

keiichidono
June 10th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I agree that many Linux users also use Windows now. I personally only use Linux but you'll have to wait a while until Linux is mainstream enough for there not to be a need for Windows.

RebounD11
June 11th, 2008, 12:00 AM
all my linux using friends use it exclusively (except my girlfriend - who is temporarily dual-booting - and those linux using friends that have been using linux for less than 2 months now).

BrokeBody
June 11th, 2008, 12:38 AM
If I go by my experience then I should say my main OS is Amgia OS 1.3 (developed with it for almost 15 years). I voted based on my current situation (Debian based OSs for everything except the one Windows machine at my client site). If I had my choice I would use Linux for everything.

I didn't ask what's your main OS, just if you also use Windows with Linux. Forced or not, it doesn't matter. This topic isn't about personal choice right now, but a "cruel reality". :)

Thieflock
June 11th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I have XP and Vista on one HDDR and Linux on another, so I can tri-boot. I don't like Windows particularly, I only use it for gaming, anything else is either a waste of time or money to use Windows for.

grossaffe
June 11th, 2008, 01:30 AM

yeah, but how many of us have windows but just don't use it?

BrokeBody
June 11th, 2008, 07:44 AM
how many of us have windows but just don't use it?

Then why do you have it? :)

grossaffe
June 11th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Then why do you have it? :)

because we initially had it before making the decision to dual-boot ubuntu to see if we liked it and aren't gonna go through the effort of removing it.

BrokeBody
June 11th, 2008, 11:24 AM
because we initially had it before making the decision to dual-boot ubuntu to see if we liked it and aren't gonna go through the effort of removing it.

Well, the question is "using" it, not "having" it. ;)

Jim!
June 11th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I use windows at school because I'm forced to, but otherwise I'm a full time Ubuntu user at home:D Not a single machine setup at home with Windows on it - I accidently killed Windows when trying to delete an Ubuntu partition I had installed just because I wanted to try out linux - first I hated it now I never want to go back;)

mdsmedia
June 11th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Of course.

But I just might ruin all the "fun" if I tell ya. :)So you're making the poll ask questions which you'll then misrepresent?

Why even ask the question if you only want to misuse the answers?

Even Aysiu's poll doesn't fit the answer that I want to provide, but at least it's honest.

I won't answer your poll if you misrepresent the results

mdsmedia
June 11th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I didn't ask what's your main OS, just if you also use Windows with Linux. Forced or not, it doesn't matter. This topic isn't about personal choice right now, but a "cruel reality". :)No it's not. It's about peoples' PERCEPTIONS of what OTHER PEOPLE do.

There's no question that people dual-boot. So what?? I dual-boot...because I have to. What's your point??

I'd love to know what you're trying to prove, in that the majority who use Linux...that I know...dual-boot. The fact is that most software and hardware is developed for Windows. That's true. That's bug #1. What are you trying to prove??

I'd say that the main reason people dual-boot is because they CAN. That Linux is a better OS than Windows is without question, but some things require Windows, so people HAVE TO dual-boot. The fact that people using Linux dual-boot just proves that Linux is better than Windows. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Zeotronic
June 11th, 2008, 01:49 PM
I have only used Windows (XP) once since I gained the ability to connect to the internet (dialup) on my Xubuntu... and that was to clear space to backup my data, so I could still have it after my freash install (I like to freash install every LTS). The only reason I still have it is because no-one will buy it... I'm far too... stingy(?)... to get rid of something that costs money. All of these years of going unused have made it deteriorate... oddly... either that or I am suddenly used to a greater level of performance from my OSs, than Windows can perform.

I answered 'disagree', mostly because I do not use it (which is what this poll should be asking, "do you also use Windows?"), but also because I think that any PC user who is not a PC gamer would have no use for it (not that it is particularly suited for gaming :lolflag: ).

Fedz
June 11th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I figure their's alot of contributing factors as to whether linux users might or might not also use Window$ but, I doubt it's the majority.

On that word alone (majority) I voted 'disagreed' :-)

I have Ubuntu/8.04 on both my desktop and laptop and haven't used Window$ for about 2 years except for 2 days when I first got my laptop but, I then reformatted the drive with Ubuntu/8.04 - I 'hated' the OS for the 2 days, I kept it more for confirmation of why I didn't want Window$ in the first place and them 2 days sure re-inforced that ;-)

aeiah
June 11th, 2008, 02:13 PM
i mostly use windows, but thats just because when im sat at a computer, its mostly when im at work. its nice to come home and have everything how i like it but until autocad works in linux or there's a viable alternative that opens autocad 2007 .dwg files, and until open office displays documents exactly like microsoft office displays them, im gonna have to put up with windows 9:00 - 17:00

aeiah
June 11th, 2008, 02:16 PM
as a side note, there's probably a lot of windows users that use linux, be it on their satnav, router, server at work, pvr etc

tbrminsanity
June 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I didn't ask what's your main OS, just if you also use Windows with Linux. Forced or not, it doesn't matter. This topic isn't about personal choice right now, but a "cruel reality". :)

I'm just saying that the most I've ever spent on one single OS is Amiga OS 1.3, so from a pure experience background it would be the OS I've used the most and did the most with (forced or not). I never touched a Win system till the late 90s and even still I still spent more time on my Amiga 500. In the early 2000s I replaced my Amiga with a Linux box (at the time I thought Amiga would never return [which isn't far from the truth]). Only the odd time I used a University computer or client computer do I ever use a Window machine. I effectively use Linux 90% of the time.

SpenceMakesSense
June 11th, 2008, 05:12 PM
As long as linux nor cedega cant run Call of duty 4..or a majority of the games I own for that matter, I'm dual bootings. But Im sure plenty of people have the same reason I do.

Lizzy
June 11th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I have 2 Laptops, one is an old Toshiba Satellite the other one is a new HP. Unfortunately i'm stuck with Vista on my new one due to driver issues :-( and the guarantee thingy. 1 month ago i borrowed my old Toshiba (with Ubuntu )to a collegue of mine and one of his friends installed XP on him without asking me. It took 2 weeks and my good old Toshiba was dead...well almost dead..eaten up by a virus who killed the hard drive. I took him back, almost crying, but i didn't give up and had a PC-guy who usualy works with messed up Windows PC's repair him and give my old Laptop a new HD (160 GB woooow), he reset the PC and installed Ubuntu 8.04, because i wanted it that way. He said that he didn't have any experience with Linux, but he will do as i wish. The day after i got my good old, lovely laptop back. The Pc guy was surprised how easy it was and how fast, silent and effective the old laptop worked with Linux. He concluded that he will give Ubuntu a try on one of his PC's as well, which made me smile....BIG TIMES!! One more Ubuntu user?? :-D

cutterjohn
June 12th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I voted not sure, although in my case I run win2k, winxp pro, and Ubuntu + wine.

Problem for me is that there are quite a few games that do NOT have either good enough wine OR cedega support, although I rarely bother with cedega any longer as it seems to me that by and large that wine has surpassed cedega quite some time excepting the few cases where cedega specifically writes hacks to allow certain (officially "supported") games to run, and even then in many cases plain old wine will do just as well or better.

Also worth considering in my case, many newer games will not receive cedega or wine support until a while after they've been released -> requires windows to play. By the time that wine/cedega support rolls around I'm generally unwilling or unable to run them under linux(thanks proprietary installers digital restrictions management plus useless use of the registry).

OTOH some games like the MMORPG Minions of Mirth, I could simply drag and drop the install folder where I wanted, transfer settings and SP mode "saves" between my linux and windows installs, but games like this are few and far between. (MoM actually runs better under linux plus wine as TGE seems to have a bug where if it crashes the gamma setting is not recovered properly. Under linux I can run the nVidia settings panel, which will reset the card, while under windows I have discovered no way to do this short of a reboot(thanks M$)...)

kdcoetzee
June 12th, 2008, 07:47 PM
The Majority of Linux users are usually forced to use windows...

Fedz
June 12th, 2008, 09:12 PM
The Majority of Linux users are usually forced to use windows...
'forced' ... In what way :-)

aysiu
June 12th, 2008, 09:16 PM
To keep their job or pass their class.

kdcoetzee
June 12th, 2008, 09:26 PM

You know I can't think of one funny thing to say...

I had(at my prevoius job) to manage windows servers. which I could have easily done with windows on virtualbox.
But the IT Manger didn't like the idea and stopped my plan to convert my work PC to Ubuntu.

And the biggest reason I can't get my friends to use linux, is becuase they want to play there games and it is to hard to install games on linux.

Fedz
June 12th, 2008, 09:27 PM
To keep their job or pass their class.
Right I understand :-)

Yeah! we use Window$ at work (NHS) but, luckily my position doesn't require me to use them except on extremely rare occasions :-)

I'm sure this will change as time goes on in the distant future thanks to Vista ... I've not seen Vista used yet anywhere in both our hospitals (Psychiatric and medical).

BrokeBody
August 18th, 2009, 04:43 PM
According to poll results, seems like the majority agrees with me. ;)

SuperSonic4
August 18th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I use only Linux at home but XP at work

aysiu
August 18th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Why don't you create a poll asking how many people use Windows instead of asking people if they think the majority use Windows or not?

Tamalin
August 18th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I use Win XP installed in VirtualBox, but only when I have to because I find Linux quite a bit simpler, more informative, and faster.

tehchibipanda
August 18th, 2009, 05:42 PM
well, I know I myself do not use Windows anymore. Granted, my one desktop has Windows XP on it still, but that's not being used by me, that's what my sister uses to play zoo tycoon. She's not computer savvy at all...so I decided to not install Linux for that reason on that one.

Viva
August 18th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I don't need to use windows, I can do everything I want on my Ubuntu

khelben1979
August 18th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I voted agreed since there's still things which is impossible if not very hard to do on a Linux system where you need Windows to do this. It's a bit tragic and I hope that this will be better in the future. This forces many users to use Windows or MacOS.

One of my own examples:
BankID (http://www.bankid.com/) have never worked correctly for me on any Linux system and this actually forces me to use Windows for this. I'm not happy about this. :(

mamamia88
August 18th, 2009, 05:59 PM
i assume most linux users are computer enthusiasts and as such use as many differeent operating systems as they can get their hands on

Groucho Marxist
August 18th, 2009, 07:50 PM
The majority of those who use some Linux distribution also use Windows.

Agree or disagree? Post your opinions.

From a systems administration point of view, I feel that it is important for a person to be acquainted with as many types of OS' as possible. Personally, I dual boot to play Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete Edition without flaws or crashes. With that being said, the greatest selling point between my self and my friends regarding a switch to Linux is the idea of dual-booting for work and gaming without losing the former in favor of the latter.

kk0sse54
August 18th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Majority probably do in one form or other. Personally I have XP installed but I don't use it

aysiu
August 18th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Actually, only 45.16% agree with you right now.

The other 54.84% either disagree or aren't sure.