PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Weird problem with gnome-termimal prompt while scrolling through history

oc1001
June 9th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Context: I've just upgraded from edgy, and figured I might as well go all the way to hardy. So I'm running terminal 2.22.1 in a pretty vanilla installation of hardy on an x86-64 machine.

The problem: when I try to cycle through my command history in bash, my prompt, which is usually just a '$ ', has the first 12 characters of the previous command appended to it. Everything works fine, except that the prompt has become significantly harder to read..!

Any ideas of how I might go about fixing this? Here's the command I use for my PS1 variable in .bashrc - I'm guessing this might be the problem, but I never had this problem in edgy...

PS1='\n${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\[\033[00;32m\]\u@\h \[\033[00;33m\]\w\[\033[00m\]\n\$ '

So my prompt usually consists of <my user name>@<my machine name> <current directory>, and then on a new line, '$ '. The first line works fine, but the second one does not.

Any help would be most appreciated...!

mannih2001
June 9th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I tried to replicate your problem and used the same string for PS1, but it works just fine here. So maybe you should look for another reason.

oc1001
June 10th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Thanks for that mannih, looks like I can forget about the PS1 idea...! Which is good because it rules that out. But I'm a little bit short on other ideas. Would anybody have any suggestions of other areas that I could look into?

mannih2001
June 10th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Have you tried to use a different shell? Just for testing. I guess the question is who's to blame, bash or gnome terminal.

oc1001
June 10th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Hey good point, thanks mannih :). Hadn't thought of that. Turns out that it's bash - a quick test with zsh shows that there's no problem with gnome-terminal. Which lead me to thinking about bugs in bash, and I managed to find this bug report (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bash/+bug/118636). Which is similar, although not the same... A suggestion there was adding a new user account, and seeing whether that made a difference, so I'm just off to try that now...

oc1001
June 23rd, 2008, 03:55 AM
Just a heads up with where I got to with this - I'm having this problem on my work machine and we've been swamped here, so I haven't had any time to get too much further with it - but I can confirm that creating a new user account results in a bash that doesn't have this problem. So it must be some funny config niggle somewhere. Or something. At any rate, that's enough of a lead to get moving on this, thanks again for your help your mannih...!

thedrunkduck
August 21st, 2008, 06:00 PM
I have exactly the same problem with xterm. I'm goggling for hints but haven't found any solution so far.

Did you manage to solve it?

[SOLVED] It was a syntax problem