PDA

View Full Version : This point is always obvious but....

KingBahamut
October 26th, 2005, 03:51 PM
For the first time ever, the Apache Web Server is powering more than 50 million websites, according to Netcraft's Web Server Survey for October. Although relative share fell by 0.67 percent, the total number of sites powered by Apache grew to over 52 million. Microsoft's IIS finished second with more than 15 million sites served.

External Links -
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2005/10/04/october_2005_web_server_survey.html

What I find interesting in this is, I remember a story a ways back that stated that MSN Search was giving preferential treatment to search done against sites that run IIS by default. 35 million websites are a big thing to go against in the variation when you can only prefer 15 million of them. That cant possibly mean that MS think it can take away the market share on Web Hosting....Something I believe that Ballmer stated was one of the 4 Hallmarks that was next going to be focused on by MS in general (the other 3 were Server clustering, Appliances, and SaaS -- Software as a Service).

BWF89
October 26th, 2005, 04:02 PM
No big deal. Does anyone you know actually use MSN search anyway?

Stormy Eyes
October 26th, 2005, 04:09 PM

My father used to, until I showed him Google and told him that if it had anything to do with Microsoft then I did not want to hear about it.

xequence
October 26th, 2005, 10:21 PM

I used to 4 years ago, until I found google.

angkor
October 26th, 2005, 10:38 PM

MSN what?? ;)

Before google I always used altavista....seems so long ago. Come to think of it 'Google' is a very good name: "google this, google that...". It works great as a verb. :)

Kapre
October 26th, 2005, 11:28 PM
MSN what?? ;)...... Come to think of it 'Google' is a very good name: "google this, google that...". It works great as a verb. :)

Same here. AFAICR I only used MSN 2 times (and that is to search for M$ products)..I remember those Netscape days with Altavista and Yahoo Search...But now GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGLE...

K

xequence
October 27th, 2005, 02:46 AM
MSN what?? ;)

Before google I always used altavista....seems so long ago. Come to think of it 'Google' is a very good name: "google this, google that...". It works great as a verb. :)

They (google) dont want you to use google as a verb because if it is a verb, they cant own the copyright ;)