PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Remembering an applications previous size?

mooglinux
June 9th, 2008, 05:11 AM
I got a question, in gnome is there any way to get it to remember an applications previous size and position on the desktop? i boot up and every time pidgin is on my primary moniter, rather than the second one, where i have to place it every time i log in. Same story for unmaximized windows. sometimes i like having firefox take half my screen so i can do omething on the other half, but unmaximizing it barely reduces its size. changing the window size is only remembered for the duration of the login session.

any way to improve this?

Darkade
June 11th, 2008, 11:55 PM
If you have Compiz Advance Effects enabled look for the "window place" option and enable it, you'll have to modify a few things. also the "Windows Rules" might be handy. But Window Place does just what you want. Hope it helps.

You might also find usefull this (http://icehot.wordpress.com/2008/05/11/ubuntu-hardy-tutorial-embed-terminal-into-your-desktop/)

:lolflag:

mooglinux
June 12th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the links, i went ahead and put in that terminal (i had the terminal set to a keyboard shortcut before, but having it always there is even easier)

i decided the solution to my problem is with devils pie, however. grabbed devilspie from the repo's and gDevilspie from google code and it all works great: easy and painless to setup, very powerful too