PDA

View Full Version : If Ubuntu Was Named After One Of Your Exes Could You Use It?

tdrusk
June 9th, 2008, 04:40 AM
I was looking at Linux Mint and their new version is Elyssa and it is shown as the "start" button.

My exes name is Alyssa. It's not that I dislike her, but it would make me uncomfortable to start my computer and see that every time.

So if you loved Ubuntu, but you were forced to see your exes name every time you started it would you still use it?

This question is obviously hypothetical, because everything is tweakable in Linux, but still.

Bubba64
June 9th, 2008, 04:46 AM
I was looking at Linux Mint and their new version is Elyssa and it is shown as the "start" button.

My exes name is Alyssa. It's not that I dislike her, but it would make me uncomfortable to start my computer and see that every time.

So if you loved Ubuntu, but you were forced to see your exes name every time you started it would you still use it?

This question is obviously hypothetical, because everything is tweakable in Linux, but still.

Seek a mental health professional, or your minister or whoever can help you with this:)

Black Mage
June 9th, 2008, 04:46 AM
If you dated a girl named Ubuntu, you must be after the real freaky kind of girls.

SunnyRabbiera
June 9th, 2008, 04:48 AM
well you can change the name on the start menu you know :D

vexorian
June 9th, 2008, 04:49 AM
If you dated a girl named Ubuntu, you must be after the real freaky kind of girls.
After the daughters of the freakiest geeks ever*.
--
Also, let's say you were hypothetically attacked by a squad of angry herons, would you still use ubuntu?

tdrusk
June 9th, 2008, 04:54 AM
After the daughters of the freakiest geeks ever*.
--
Also, let's say you were hypothetically attacked by a squad of angry herons, would you still use ubuntu?
Much better question.

And to those who told me I should look into mental help... Would you want to see the name of your divorced wife every time you opened your computer?

acelin
June 9th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Much better question.

And to those who told me I should look into mental help... Would you want to see the name of your divorced wife every time you opened your computer?

I know I wouldn't want to. Sorry man - even onetime is annoying.

monstermudder78
June 9th, 2008, 06:04 AM

I hereby give you the official "Post of the Week" award.
http://www.factor-software.com/images/bytten_stargold.jpg

Bubba64
June 9th, 2008, 06:41 AM
(QUOTE=tdrusk;5145961)And to those who told me I should look into mental help... Would you want to see the name of your divorced wife every time you opened your computer?[/QUOTE]

It is common for many people to have this problem probably, what you have to ask yourself is how functional was the relationship to begin with and if this problem is functional. Personally I wouldn't care to see their names, I think of my exes often with the hope that the ones I am not still friends with have found happiness. Having a short term problem with this about 6 months is in a clinical evaluation normal, beyond that find somebody to talk to to help you with your loss, using the forums for this is not going to help you.

ladr0n
June 9th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Dude, what if every time you started your computer, the deafening roar of african drums resounded throughout the room, making your ears ring for the next hour or two and causing extreme physical discomfort. Would you still use it?

acelin
June 9th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Dude, what if every time you started your computer, the deafening roar of african drums resounded throughout the room, making your ears ring for the next hour or two and causing extreme physical discomfort. Would you still use it?

I'd make sure the volme was turned own before I turned my computer off.. :lolflag:

Bubba64
June 9th, 2008, 06:58 AM

Just go to system-sounds and change the settings. If the question is would I want to be overwhelmed by a lack of resources to help with a personal problem the answer is no, but there are resources for everyone if you look hard enough.

RiceMonster
June 9th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Lmao, as soon as I installed Ubuntu I turned the GNOME startup sound and the sound that GDM makes. I hate startup sounds.

ladr0n
June 9th, 2008, 07:02 AM
I'd make sure the volme was turned own before I turned my computer off.. :lolflag:

It happened to me in class a little while back. I had the volume on my lappy up all the way for some reason. Logged in, went for a cup coffee... and end up scrambling back down the row for the mute button. Good times.

gameryoshi600
June 10th, 2008, 01:19 AM
It happened to me in class a little while back. I had the volume on my lappy up all the way for some reason. Logged in, went for a cup coffee... and end up scrambling back down the row for the mute button. Good times.

At my school some kids put the sound up all the way then when you log in Windows XP goes NA-NA-NA-NAAAA :guitar: :lolflag:

edit:
On topic: Probably not but I have never had a Girlfriend so I dunno!

Ptero-4
June 10th, 2008, 06:45 AM
BTW. It's not ubuntu, it's LinuxMint who stick women names for their releases (and also the stupid Vista-menu is theirs).

shadylookin
June 10th, 2008, 07:55 AM
since ubuntu code names are always an attribute and an animal I would find it rather odd to even date a woman with the same name as an Ubuntu release. However I'd still use ubuntu because no woman could shatter my love for it:lolflag:

torry_loon
June 10th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I haven't felt the same since Feisty dumped me.

master5o1
June 10th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I read the title as 'EXEs' --- Oh yeah... Have an Ubuntu named 'iexplore.exe' -- True, I Explore the world outside of Microsoft XD

Bubba64
June 10th, 2008, 10:39 AM
I haven't felt the same since Feisty dumped me.

All exes were Feisty that is why we obsess over them.

NovaAesa
June 10th, 2008, 10:46 AM

It really depends which ex it was. I still get along very well with all of by exes bar one. I don't think I would have an issue with it if it was one of my 'nice' exes (i.e. the ones that DIDN'T cheat on me and leave me for my ex-best friend).