View Full Version : [ubuntu] Replacement for Itunes and need help with .wmv files

Anorexic Whale
June 9th, 2008, 03:50 AM
I'm new to Ubuntu and I have been having some problems with some things:

A. I need a replacement for Itunes
B. I need some application that can play .wmv files, and video files.
C. If you could, please help me install them.

A few questions:
1.How can I transfer my songs from Itunes on Windows XP to Ubuntu?
2.Could you please use easy to understand directions for me? I am REALLY new to this. Please, no links to directions either.
3.Will I be able to buy songs from Itunes and sync them onto my Ipod from Ubuntu, or will I have to boot up XP again and buy them on there and sync the songs from there?
4.Is there any other vital information that I should know about Ubuntu, or what I should learn about that will help me in the future?

Thank you,

June 9th, 2008, 03:58 AM
A. There is gtkPod, but check out this link about other replacement for Itunes:

B. VLC media player can play .wmv files, but I am sure there are other alternatives

C. gtkPod and VLC media player can be found on add/remove programs, as can other alternatives

1) If you can access your windows partition from linux, you can move your songs.
I'm not sure about question 3 :(

June 9th, 2008, 04:04 AM
For a replacement of Itunes you can use AmaroK. Of course, I'm a KDE fan so of course I would say that.

For the song transfers, if you have downloaded them from the iTunes store you may be in a bit of trouble since iTunes puts copy protection in all of their music. However, if you got them from other sources you can just play them from your WinBlows partition using ntfs-3g to read them or copy them over to your home directory.

You will be able to sync your songs depending on your music player preference but buying them from iTunes is not possible and probably never will since MicroSucks owns a large portion of Apple's market share.

As far as vital information, there are almost always native Linux ways of doing things you used to do on your WinBlows box. You just have to look for them. :)

June 9th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Well here are a few viable alternatives to itunes:

and for .wmv files:
Totem/ Movie player

Just rmember to install all needed codecs, playing .wmv by default is against the ubuntu philosophy of including free software.