PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ant Problem?

melrom
June 9th, 2008, 01:24 AM
There have been ants randomly crawling out of my laptop all day. I think this is a problem. Solutions?

FuturePilot
June 9th, 2008, 01:40 AM
I don't know but that's kind of disturbing :shock:

saulgoode
June 9th, 2008, 01:44 AM
sudo apt-get install aardvark

fissionmailed
June 9th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Maybe clean out the keyboard?

Swarms
June 9th, 2008, 01:47 AM
Maybe its those electronic eating ants that has been roaming Texas?

JAPrufrock
June 9th, 2008, 01:49 AM
If they're army ants, call Homeland Security.

melrom
June 9th, 2008, 01:50 AM
I don't know but that's kind of disturbing :shock:

i know!! i just killed this one. i can't tell if it's just one or if there's been a bunch of different ones running around all day. they're so fast!

melrom
June 9th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Maybe clean out the keyboard?

it's fairly new [after a 7-key mishap], and i don't often eat around my computer.

i'm wondering if i should take it apart at the same time that i'm worried about what i may find. lol.

arsenic23
June 9th, 2008, 01:53 AM
If you live near Texas this might be a a problem you should look into right away. You may have Crazy Rassberry Ants in the PC.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article3941545.ece
http://urbanentomology.tamu.edu/ants/exotic_tx.cfm
http://www.slate.com/id/2191749/

I'd turn it off and remove the batteries if this is the case, then take it someplace to be disassembled and cleaned.

Dr Small
June 9th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Hardware bugs!

melrom
June 9th, 2008, 01:56 AM
i live in new jersey, and they look like pretty standard black ants that you see all the time on the side walk.

Pethegreat
June 9th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Run F@H(folding at home) on the thing for a few days. I don't think ants like a laptop that is cooking at 50-60c for several days straight.

ibuclaw
June 9th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Ah, I see Vor has unleashed his army of Perl-bots :lolflag:

Erm...

Yes, that is rather disturbing. You don't leave your laptop in odd places, do you? (ie: the floor, outside in the garden).

Iain

Mr. Picklesworth
June 9th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Sure they aren't silicon based? Could be your computer itself running away from something... bigger :O

ibuclaw
June 9th, 2008, 02:08 AM
sudo apt-get install aardvark

I don't have aardvark in the repository...

This works though :D

sudo apt-get purge ant && sudo apt-get install anteater

Regards
Iain

Rocket2DMn
June 9th, 2008, 02:09 AM
You can file a bug report at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu
No, really =D

cardinals_fan
June 9th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Take a pic for us :)

FuturePilot
June 9th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Hardware bugs!

ROFL :lolflag:

cprofitt
June 9th, 2008, 02:16 AM
There have been ants randomly crawling out of my laptop all day. I think this is a problem. Solutions?

I would remove the keyboard and see if there is something inside attracting them... high pressure air should clean whatever it is out.

melrom
June 9th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Yes, that is rather disturbing. You don't leave your laptop in odd places, do you? (ie: the floor, outside in the garden).

I actually think if I picked them up anywhere, it would be work. I bring it to work all the time, and I'm always encountering weird bugs there.

Dr Small
June 9th, 2008, 02:36 AM
I actually think if I picked them up anywhere, it would be work. I bring it to work all the time, and I'm always encountering weird bugs there.
Maybe you should alert security at work. These might be trojan ants!

bufsabre666
June 9th, 2008, 02:38 AM
well since writing viruses for linux isnt an easy thing i guess its easier to take control of they real bugs and have them do it manually, this is the oddest attempt to bypass hardware encryption ive head of to date

melrom
June 9th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Maybe you should alert security at work. These might be trojan ants!

haha, the comical part about this is that i work for the government.

Silpheed2K
June 9th, 2008, 03:13 AM
haha, the comical part about this is that i work for the government.

just clean and disinfect your computer and dont place it near any walls or on the floor.. they must be attracted from outside i'm assuming. you can spray your computer with bug spray and then let it sit a little... dont spray too much of course as it's electronics. (and of course dont have it on when doing this)

Dr Small
June 9th, 2008, 03:17 AM
When setting the laptop down on a table at work, make a chalk square around it. The ants will not cross over it.

gfg
June 9th, 2008, 03:20 AM
OMG! Your computer is a replicator. We are pretty much doomed. Somone better call the Asgards!

Rocket2DMn
June 9th, 2008, 03:23 AM
When setting the laptop down on a table at work, make a chalk square around it. The ants will not cross over it.

I prefer a can of aerosol hair spray and a lighter, but that works, too.

Realistically, the best thing to do is clean out your keyboard (you may need to take the plastic top piece off of your laptop to access the keyboard, then unscrew it). Simply using a can of air to blow garbage (like piece of food which can attract ants) can result in these pieces ending up under the keyboard on more sensitive parts of your computer. Once the keyboard is disconnected from the computer, you can blow it clean yourself or use a can of air. While the KB is disconnected, you may want to blow clean the rest of the laptop, too, like the fans and any other openings you can access.
Of course, the computer needs to be turned off, power unplugged, battery disconnected during all of this to prevent damage from power drain or static discharge.

Dr Small
June 9th, 2008, 03:52 AM
I prefer a can of aerosol hair spray and a lighter, but that works, too.

Realistically, the best thing to do is clean out your keyboard (you may need to take the plastic top piece off of your laptop to access the keyboard, then unscrew it). Simply using a can of air to blow garbage (like piece of food which can attract ants) can result in these pieces ending up under the keyboard on more sensitive parts of your computer. Once the keyboard is disconnected from the computer, you can blow it clean yourself or use a can of air. While the KB is disconnected, you may want to blow clean the rest of the laptop, too, like the fans and any other openings you can access.
Of course, the computer needs to be turned off, power unplugged, battery disconnected during all of this to prevent damage from power drain or static discharge.
Can's of air cost money and are not environmentally friendly. Use an Air Compressor. Saves money, is re-usable and is environmentally friendly!

Notice, this is not a political message. Just a rant :D

melrom
June 9th, 2008, 01:36 PM
thanks for the tips. yeah, i'll probably take off my keyboard tonight. it's confirmed that there are multiple ants though, because i've killed about three so far [i couldn't tell at first if i was just too slow to get the same one]. haha.

madjr
June 9th, 2008, 05:07 PM
DON't PaNIC

i had the same issue, not a big deal.

i just placed an usb powered cooler on the bottom of my laptop. they don't like the wind too much.

sometimes the ants are just scouting the area for the queen live in or they follow the scent of food.

it happened twice, i just moved the lap to another table for a while and clean the one i were.

melrom
June 9th, 2008, 05:15 PM
DON't PaNIC

i had the same issue, not a big deal.

i just placed an usb powered cooler on the bottom of my laptop. they don't like the wind too much.

sometimes the ants are just scouting the area for the queen live in or they follow the scent of food.

it happened twice, i just moved the lap to another table for a while and clean the one i were.

i'm not panicing. i brought my towel. :)

hmmm, good plan. thanks for the advice.

BDNiner
June 9th, 2008, 06:04 PM
lol, there is actually a windows virus that replaces the screen saver with black ants walking on the screen. If they are the small black sugar ants then you may be in trouble, they are hard to get rid of. if you can find the source then use the anti-bug chalk to block their source.

melrom
June 9th, 2008, 06:23 PM
lol, there is actually a windows virus that replaces the screen saver with black ants walking on the screen. If they are the small black sugar ants then you may be in trouble, they are hard to get rid of. if you can find the source then use the anti-bug chalk to block their source.

oh geez, this stuff is real!

http://insectchalk.com/

ibuclaw
June 10th, 2008, 12:20 AM
lol, what, did you think that the power of Voodoo would prevent the ants from passing over?

Iain

gameryoshi600
June 10th, 2008, 12:27 AM
1. Keep your house clean if it isn't and get crums of food off the floor.
2. Wherever you bring it put it in a clean area.
3. get Dust-Off (You can get a can of it at staples or any other decent office store)
4. Remove the keyboard
5. kill the ants with your hands (Yuck.)
6. Put the keyboard back
7. Spray the dust-off
8. See what happens

Good Luck!

gameryoshi600
June 10th, 2008, 12:36 AM
oh geez, this stuff is real!

http://insectchalk.com/

Haha nice. I gotta get me this.

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 01:44 AM
lol, what, did you think that the power of Voodoo would prevent the ants from passing over?

Iain

shhhhhhhhhhh!! of course. i've already constructed little ant plushies to stick pins into.

on the note of people telling me to clean up my stuff, i'd just like to point out that the keyboard is like brand new, and i'm typically quite a clean person. lol. there are no crumbs and there is no food around the computer at all. like i said, i think work is buggy, and that's where i picked them up.

Dr Small
June 10th, 2008, 02:03 AM
shhhhhhhhhhh!! of course. i've already constructed little ant plushies to stick pins into.

on the note of people telling me to clean up my stuff, i'd just like to point out that the keyboard is like brand new, and i'm typically quite a clean person. lol. there are no crumbs and there is no food around the computer at all. like i said, i think work is buggy, and that's where i picked them up.
I thought I was clean too, until I popped the keys off the keyboard :O I found all sorts of things I didn't know I had shed, and did subconciously!

Joeb454
June 10th, 2008, 02:06 AM
There's a lot of skin under keyboard keys...

In fact there's an xkcd comic which pictures this ;) Though I can't remember the number of it, so I can't link it :p

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 12:27 PM
There's a lot of skin under keyboard keys...

In fact there's an xkcd comic which pictures this ;) Though I can't remember the number of it, so I can't link it :p

http://www.xkcd.com/237/

NovaAesa
June 10th, 2008, 01:05 PM
If the ants are comming OUT, that's probably a good thing :P

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 01:07 PM
If the ants are comming OUT, that's probably a good thing :P

Ah yes. Well you know how it is. I'm pretty sure they're gone. I killed three of them [oh no!], and then I haven't seen one since. Who knows? Maybe it was an isolated incident. I was doing yard work all day before I came in and used the computer. Maybe they came off of me. lol. That's actually a really creepy and gross thought, but it had to be said.

The Cosmic Hobo
June 10th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Question: Are they bugs, or just undocumented features? :mrgreen:

Seriously, though. Not good to have a bug infestation in a new laptop. If you see any more, you could always try putting a saucer of sugar-water in the vicinity of your laptop and hope they wander out. Either that, or casemod your laptop into an open source formicarium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formicarium).

Don't mention yard work, I'm about to go paint the fence.

Dr Small
June 10th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Maybe they came off of me. lol. That's actually a really creepy and gross thought, but it had to be said.

I have had much worse things come off me, from outside... trust me.

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Don't mention yard work, I'm about to go paint the fence.

oof good luck. white or...??

The Cosmic Hobo
June 10th, 2008, 01:38 PM
No, just needs a coat of creosote substitute. (It's kinda like a stain for outdoor wood that doesn't need varnishing - but it does fade and wear. "Substitute" because it's not real creosote (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote), just something synthetic that behaves the same.)

Could be worse. Yesterday I cleared out the garage, dug out a dead tree, and removed a very overgrown berberis. Picturesque, if thorny, bush from Nepal... that was fun.

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Maybe that's what we use on my deck every few years? I mean, we call it stain, but we just basically paint and/or roll it on and then in two years or so, we do it again. I'm not sure, I just do the labor. I don't ask questions. :)

But wow, seems like you've been busy! Yesterday it was over 37 C where I live. Hope you're enjoying cooler weather.

The Cosmic Hobo
June 10th, 2008, 02:25 PM
It's substantially cooler here, around 20 degrees C. Still hot enough to be labouring outside. But they're jobs that need doing, as I graduate in a month and have a position to go to... and with my folks splitting up last year, the house will have to be sold soon. So, I'm doing my bit to get it shipshape and Bristol fashion.
There's a separate stain we have for the decking, which wears less readily. That needs to be done soon, but I'll have to sand it all down first.

You think that's busy, I'm bringing myself up to speed on hardware. I'm tired of laptops but haven't built a desktop since 2002, so I figured I'd treat myself to a new PC as a graduation present. It's going to be an Ubuntu box with XP Pro as a secondary OS (though I doubt it'll get used much!).
There are a billion things for me to do, and I'm loving doing all of them without having dissertation supervisors or bosses breathing down my neck :)

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 02:36 PM
There are a billion things for me to do, and I'm loving doing all of them without having dissertation supervisors or bosses breathing down my neck :)

I agree. I feel so much more productive when I do things that need to be done around the house or things that I want to do than when I have a job and must get a task done.

When I graduate, I want to build myself a desktop. First, though, I might want to score a sweet job with a hardware company and get stuff for free?? :)

Dr Small
June 10th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I agree. I feel so much more productive when I do things that need to be done around the house or things that I want to do than when I have a job and must get a task done.

When I graduate, I want to build myself a desktop. First, though, I might want to score a sweet job with a hardware company and get stuff for free?? :)
On your resume, be sure to include this link ;)
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5155795&postcount=49

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 02:43 PM
i am sure they would appreciate that. :)

The Cosmic Hobo
June 10th, 2008, 03:10 PM
I almost bought an iMac last week, and I'm glad I decided to come back here instead. You can read all about my adventures in system building here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=822358). :)

What I wouldn't give to score staff discounts, or freebies... but alas, I'm only an English Lit graduate who's moving to London to work for the government. So I have to pay. But hey, I have untouched savings - should be fun :)
You know, building a PC is fairly easy - most parts only go into one socket, one way. Keeping up with hardware spec, and designing the system, and tweaking your OS to run best with it... now that's hard.

Dr Small
June 10th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I found nothing terribly hard about building a computer. I built mine, my server, my Dad's and one for my friend's sister. It really isn't much to it.

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 03:15 PM
You know, building a PC is fairly easy - most parts only go into one socket, one way. Keeping up with hardware spec, and designing the system, and tweaking your OS to run best with it... now that's hard.

This is true, but like you said... the fun is in the hardware hunt and the design. I was talking more on a making boards scale, as I've gotta love my digital logic! :) Of course, tweaking your OS is always amazingly fun too. I was thinking about trying Arch on these computers at my house that aren't in use anymore.

The Cosmic Hobo
June 10th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah... amazing how many people don't get how straightforward the assembly part is. To quote a line from one of those old DC Star Trek comics... "How many cadets does it take to plug in a snapboard?"

That said, I bow down before anyone who can build and run their own server. With something like that, you could probably thin-client the whole house. Do people still use the thin-client terminal model in networking, or am I just getting old?

Edited to add:
Oh yes, it's fun. Chasing down bargains, learning new stuff, figuring out what works best with what... I can see I've got a lot to learn from you, melrom :) Can't say I know digital logic, but if you give me a plan and a soldering iron I can knock up a breadboard rig...

barbedsaber
June 10th, 2008, 03:18 PM
when a fly lands on my screen, I try to flick it off with my cursor. it doesn't work.

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 03:30 PM
That said, I bow down before anyone who can build and run their own server. With something like that, you could probably thin-client the whole house. Do people still use the thin-client terminal model in networking, or am I just getting old?

I actually just acquired a bunch of OLD, old thin clients, as they were going to be thrown out. I just thought it was funny you should mention them. I always like tinkering around with things like that, so you're never too old in my opinion! :)

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 03:43 PM
...but if you give me a plan and a soldering iron I can knock up a breadboard rig...

This was my sophomore project: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3135/2567976134_1dd40ec8dc.jpg?v=1213108958

It had to play a sound and stop and then also on the LED, it counted down from whatever number in binary you started with [highest being 15].

But soldering is my all-time favorite thing to do. :)

The Cosmic Hobo
June 10th, 2008, 03:47 PM
But soldering is my all-time favorite thing to do. :)
Well in my experience that makes you a unique young woman. However, I think it's cool :)

Did you notice we've got way off-topic from pest control? And I only did half my fence.

Anyhow. My first experience of *nix OSs was via thin client... the kind with the monochrome screen (either green or amber, depending on which lab you were using), about 10 years ago. That's a whole other story, mind, but IRIX was what first got me interested in Linux.

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 04:40 PM
we did get off the topic of pest control. :)

you should be applauded for getting half of the fence done. i'm compiling some programs from source, and they're taking a while.

and i know soldering is typically seen as a long and tedious task. i'm not sure exactly why i like it so much. it's just always been fun.

The Cosmic Hobo
June 10th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I think understanding how things work and making them work is fun! No matter whether it's a breadboard rig, a desktop PC, an OS... hell, my first car was a regular beater and needed a serious amount of TLC to keep running.
Soldering... it's tricky, but it feels great to have produced something :) I've never used a base like you've got; when I did electronics in high school, we had this... I guess it was resin, drilled with holes, with copper tracks on one face, basically forming strips of connected holes. You put the components on the plain side, wires (or feet, for chip holders) through the holes, and soldered them to the copper. You could bridge tracks with wire and break them with... well, actually, it was rather primitive, but I used to use a hand-cranked drill with a large bit.

I know nothing about compiling anything from source, but I hear it does wonders for application - and even kernel - performance, given how different people's machines are. But I'm still trying to work things out, like... is a 1gb graphics card better than two 512mb cards SLI-linked, and is there a difference between a dual core processor and a 64 bit processor?

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 05:56 PM
I think understanding how things work and making them work is fun! No matter whether it's a breadboard rig, a desktop PC, an OS... hell, my first car was a regular beater and needed a serious amount of TLC to keep running.

I agree 100%. I also happen to love cars. :) My dad used to be a mechanic as a kid and now works for a car insurance company. I used to work for a dealership in high school.

Soldering... it's tricky, but it feels great to have produced something :) I've never used a base like you've got.

The circuit I showed you is just on a breadboard. Nothing is soldered in, everything can be taken apart. This is because it was for a school project. If we were to have actually prototyped a breadboard, it would've looked entirely different. At work, we get to work with these neat machines: shown here (aka: LPKF machines) (http://www.lpkf.com/products/rapid-pcb-prototyping/circuit-board-plotter/protomat-s100/index.htm). They are pretty amazing.

I know nothing about compiling anything from source, but I hear it does wonders for application - and even kernel - performance, given how different people's machines are. But I'm still trying to work things out, like... is a 1gb graphics card better than two 512mb cards SLI-linked, and is there a difference between a dual core processor and a 64 bit processor?

I'm new to compiling from source too! But it's been pretty straight forward so far! :)

The Cosmic Hobo
June 10th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Mercy sakes, that machine is impressive. Better than the old UV-etch box, that's for sure.
Glad to hear these compiles are straightforward. I hear that to optimise my new system I'll need a 64 bit kernel and to check and/or recompile some apps, so it's going to be a lot of work. Puts my mind at ease to know it's not so hard.

How come there are no women like you in my neck of the woods? ;)

Dr Small
June 10th, 2008, 06:09 PM
How come there are no women like you in my neck of the woods? ;)

They never live near you... trust me.

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 06:30 PM
haha. maybe there are! :)

did you finish the fence?!

Dr Small
June 10th, 2008, 06:33 PM
haha. maybe there are! :)

Girls... They always change the subject just when you get something going... :p

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Girls... They always change the subject just when you get something going... :p

:tongue:

carry on then...

BDNiner
June 10th, 2008, 06:48 PM
That is great that you can build your own circuits. i have wanted to try building the water PC after seeing the video on youtube but i still don't trust submerging the PC inside a fish tank.

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 06:49 PM
That is great that you can build your own circuits. i have wanted to try building the water PC after seeing the video on youtube but i still don't trust submerging the PC inside a fish tank.

oh i know what you mean. i've felt the same way about the vegetable oil one. like you really want to try it but you just don't know. :)

BDNiner
June 10th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I would not try the vegetable oil computer. if it happens to get hot and then a small spark of static electricity lights the whole thing on fire. With the mineral water one i would be too concerned about rust.

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I would not try the vegetable oil computer. if it happens to get hot and then a small spark of static electricity lights the whole thing on fire. With the mineral water one i would be too concerned about rust.

interesting point.

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 07:30 PM
They never live near you... trust me.

Well you live near a terminal, and as it turns out, so do I. :) So I guess they do sometimes live near you.

The Cosmic Hobo
June 10th, 2008, 07:45 PM
The fence is nothing that won't keep. It's a little cool outside anyway.

I seem to recall an episode of the webcomic Megatokyo where Largo built a PC cooled by beer and soundproofed with cereal. I'm not going quite that mad... but I did just learn that if I'm using Nvidia drivers I'll have to recompile the kernel every time there's an update. Building my own box will obviously need me to be a lot more technical than I thought...

Semi back on topic: regarding my wisecrack about casemodding an ant-infested Ubuntu PC into an opensource formicarium, could I actually put an ant farm in a case with a side window? Or would people just try to have me declared insane?
(Come on, it's not like I'd get any more bugs in there than the average Windows system has...)

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Semi back on topic: regarding my wisecrack about casemodding an ant-infested Ubuntu PC into an opensource formicarium, could I actually put an ant farm in a case with a side window? Or would people just try to have me declared insane?

http://www.g4tv.com/screensavers/features/43745/Ant_Farm_Case_Mod.html

(Come on, it's not like I'd get any more bugs in there than the average Windows system has...)

:lolflag:

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I seem to recall an episode of the webcomic Megatokyo where Largo built a PC cooled by beer and soundproofed with cereal.

http://www.megatokyo.com/strip/403

that one??

The Cosmic Hobo
June 10th, 2008, 08:08 PM
OMG ... I'm not sure who's worse, me for remembering it after not reading MT for a few years, or you for linking straight to it ;)

There are some great mods out there. I'm so very tempted.

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 08:17 PM
OMG ... I'm not sure who's worse, me for remembering it after not reading MT for a few years, or you for linking straight to it ;)

There are some great mods out there. I'm so very tempted.

Haha. Keep me posted if you decide to do something really cool. :)

d.kusummmanth@gmail.com
June 10th, 2008, 08:20 PM
i know!! i just killed this one. i can't tell if it's just one or if there's been a bunch of different ones running around all day. they're so fast!
Maybe they came to checkout Ubuntu on ur Laptop

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Maybe they came to checkout Ubuntu on ur Laptop

Oh I don't know. I think bugs and Windows go pretty well together...

The Cosmic Hobo
June 10th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Thankyou, she's here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress!

I don't think I'll mod anything this time out, but you never know. Every so often, you see a good mod - the Doom 3-themed tower, a wood-and-brass steampunk box, things like that. I think the most I'd be tempted to do would be get a Tux or Ubuntu case sticker at the moment. Haven't got the tools or skill to put a window in, though I'd love to stick a cold cathode behind one, and (this is where my inner comics geek comes out) have a big Iron Man decal on it.

melrom
June 10th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Thankyou, she's here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress!

:) silly, silly.

I don't think I'll mod anything this time out, but you never know. Every so often, you see a good mod - the Doom 3-themed tower, a wood-and-brass steampunk box, things like that. I think the most I'd be tempted to do would be get a Tux or Ubuntu case sticker at the moment. Haven't got the tools or skill to put a window in, though I'd love to stick a cold cathode behind one, and (this is where my inner comics geek comes out) have a big Iron Man decal on it.

niceee. :) i have a few ubuntu stickers on my laptop. they were leftover from an installfest that i organized at my school. The steampunk box that you're referring to is awesome! I've seen it around before. I had to look up the Doom3 one, but that is amazing as well. I wouldn't be able to ever make something that amazing looking, but I do enjoy the cases that light up! :) I particularly enjoy the ones that light up blue.

The Cosmic Hobo
June 10th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I think when I move, I'll join a LUG.
Couldn't mod anything that amazing, but I still think a case window with a big Iron Man vinyl on the side would be cool.

So what's an installfest like? Sounds fun but nobody I know has ever been so keen on Linux - not even my university IT department, when I wrote up proposals to switch from MS Office to OpenOffice and WinXP to Ubuntu to save money. Too many proprietary apps, and too many problems with "people not understanding how to use it" (wtf?). Oh well.
I bet an installfest is tons of fun...

melrom
June 11th, 2008, 01:31 AM
I think when I move, I'll join a LUG.
Couldn't mod anything that amazing, but I still think a case window with a big Iron Man vinyl on the side would be cool.

Check these out:

http://weirdblog.wordpress.com/2008/06/06/ironman-case-mod-awesome-pics/

and

http://gizmodo.com/384869/iron-man-mark-1-pc-case-mod-what-would-tony-stark-think

Thought of ya when I saw them!

Also, join a LUG! They're a ton of fun!

So what's an installfest like? Sounds fun but nobody I know has ever been so keen on Linux - not even my university IT department, when I wrote up proposals to switch from MS Office to OpenOffice and WinXP to Ubuntu to save money. Too many proprietary apps, and too many problems with "people not understanding how to use it" (wtf?). Oh well.
I bet an installfest is tons of fun...

Our installfest was pretty good. The LUG just got started this past semester, and we sort of kicked it off with the installfest. The turnout was moderate, but we sure did have a lot of fun! And it got the word out about the LUG. I had Gutsy CDs [we did this before the release of Hardy] and a ton of stickers! We made up these folders for everyone and had an "install team" in place that answered people's questions. All in all, we really had a good time.

Our IT department is pretty cool about the *nix stuff, but computer science in general doesn't have a very big presence on campus.

ibuclaw
June 11th, 2008, 01:57 AM

Nice.

A bit overdone.

But nice. :)

/me prefers his plain black box though...

And I should really join a LUG-Fest some day.
I enjoy the interaction between communities of people.

Iain

The Cosmic Hobo
June 11th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Check these out:
Thought of ya when I saw them!

Also, join a LUG! They're a ton of fun!
Aw, thanks!
And I will. It's good to learn from other people, and I gather some LUGs even have *gasp* ... beer!

My campus had very little by way of societies. If you weren't on a sports team, LGBT or a Christian, you were pretty much out of luck. I did take a shot at finding interested parties and got jack in return, so... meh.

Anyway, it's the start of another gorgeous day here, and I'm off to enjoy some good weather. Time to down tools and go hiking, I think.

melrom
June 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Anyway, it's the start of another gorgeous day here, and I'm off to enjoy some good weather. Time to down tools and go hiking, I think.

Nice! Yesterday after the gym, I went for a nice 2 mile walk around this reservoir near my house with my friend, and then I came home and threw myself in the pool! lol. It was beautiful out!

Then we had thunderstorms last night, which are always exciting. :)

melrom
June 11th, 2008, 12:29 PM
/me prefers his plain black box though...

what, no lights? :)

P.S. THE ANTS ARE BACK! OR...WERE BACK.

I was sitting in the same chair though, so I'm beginning to think it has nothing to do with the computer... and I think my days of sitting in said chair are coming to an end.

ibuclaw
June 11th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Haha.

You've just gotta love their commitment though...
What sort of chair do you sit on?

It wouldn't just so happen to be an ant hill by any chance, would it? (you never know until you properly examine it...)

And yes, plain, black and no lights :)
Well... no lights since I accidentally blew the LED bulbs (silly me wired them upside-down to my new motherboard).

Meh, tweaking with hardware is fun! I suppose the ants must follow a similar motto too...

Regards
Iain

melrom
June 11th, 2008, 04:39 PM
I have accidentally convinced myself that the chair is in fact crawling with ants. I have trouble sitting in it. Last night, after I saw a few on my laptop [and killed them], I convinced myself they were crawling on me. I had to take a shower before bed. :) [as opposed to taking one in the morning]

FuturePilot
June 11th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Maybe this ant problem is bigger than you thought if they may be in your chair :shock:
I know how annoying those little devils are. We get them in the house a lot during the winter. :(

melrom
June 11th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Maybe this ant problem is bigger than you thought if they may be in your chair :shock:
I know how annoying those little devils are. We get them in the house a lot during the winter. :(

I know. I will have to further investigate this afternoon. Maybe I should put one of those ant traps near it.

The Cosmic Hobo
June 11th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Nice! Yesterday after the gym, I went for a nice 2 mile walk around this reservoir near my house with my friend, and then I came home and threw myself in the pool! lol. It was beautiful out!

Then we had thunderstorms last night, which are always exciting. :)
Sounds like heaven.
Best thunderstorm I ever saw was on a little Greek island called Kefalonia. The rain was coming down so hard that the hotel pool overflowed and put about two feet of water in the sunken pool-sun lounger area. The lightning was hitting nearby islands and it was incredible.

I think honey attracts ants... Sorry to hear they're back!

melrom
June 11th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Oooh when I was little, we used to watch the lightning strike the ocean [i live near the beach]. It was so amazing.

When I was in Greece, we went to Delphi. And everyone climbed up the side of Mt. ...er... Parnassus...was it? Well we got all the way to the top, and these thick thunder clouds had rolled in, so everyone began to high-tail it down the mountain. Mind you, it was summer and it was about 110 degrees F. Sweltering. Well it started to get super, super cold. I'm not kidding. We barely made it back to the bus. We got inside and the coolest storm I've ever seen in my life began. It was just like hail and lighting and thunder like you couldn't even believe. We were all speechless for most of the drive to the restaurant. It was insane!

red_Marvin
June 11th, 2008, 10:05 PM
It's not an infestation, the ants obviously have escaped, check for broken glass, and call the Invisible University for technical support.

(Ten pages and not a single reference to the discworld and HEX?!)

The Cosmic Hobo
June 11th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Well, I was sorely tempted, but since there's no mention of the computer going "Waah! MINE!!", I didn't think she needed to enable the FTB*. Still, the Librarian will be along with the reference manual in a moment, so I'm sure it'll all turn out ook.

* - Fluffy Teddy Bear. Yes, Terry Pratchett has a strange take on computers. Hex, like Windows, is a system run entirely on bugs.

Martym
August 2nd, 2008, 10:24 PM
It's not an infestation, the ants obviously have escaped, check for broken glass, and call the Invisible University for technical support.

Just now read this post and I was going to post this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_(Discworld) as soon as I read the title

Unseen University btw