PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lost all sound after partial upgrade on Hardy

jamere
June 9th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Hi all,
Upgraded to Hardy several weeks ago and it has been running fine with no apparent problems. A few days ago I was offered a partial upgrade from Update Manager, which I installed. Everything seems to be running fine with the exception of NO Sound capabilities at all now. I've never seen a "partial upgrade" offered before. All previous changes offered by Update Mgr have been very reliable in the past. I've noticed quite a few Hardy related sound problems in the forums. Is this a known glitch or what?
The kernel version I have is: 2.6,24-18

Anyone know if fixes will be coming through the channels for this problem? Any advice or suggestions much appreciated.
Jim M

jbrown96
June 9th, 2008, 04:11 PM
A couple of things to try. System-->Preferences-->Sound and mess with the sound playback device. Check
alsamixer and make sure none of the playback channels are muted.
What type of sound card do you have?
lspci
What version of alsa do you have? Alsamixer should have a version number at the top.

jamere
June 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM
jbrown,

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. Hard to believe, but the sound problem miraculously cured itself after booting. Not being one to believe in self-healing software (yet), I'm thinking that I must have neglected to re-boot after the partial upgrade by Update Mgr. I specifically remember seeing the re-boot icon after the changes were applied. So anyway, I'm betting the fault was mine.

I have an Intel sound card in a Dell desktop.

Thanks again for the help!

jim m