PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reinstalling Grub - Dual Boot Dual Drive Windows XP and Ubuntu Gutsy

morning_napalm
June 9th, 2008, 01:06 AM
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 that I have 2 hard drives installed. I had Windows XP on one drive and Ubuntu Gutsy on the other drive and everything was fine. Then my Windows drive crashed and I had to replace it and reinstall (Dell recovery disk) Windows XP. I now have Windows XP reinstalled and have the previous installation of Gutsy on the other drive.

The problem is that my Grub is gone. If I understand how this works, the previous Grub setup was somehow attached to the drive that crashed (where the Windows MBR was). So now I have no way to boot into my Ubuntu drive. I can only get to Windows XP.

I have looked for fixes, but have not quite found a solution. I did try the Quick Start instructions here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

and it looks like it created a Grub menu, but it is in the /boot directory on the Linux drive and it doesn't do anything.

I also tried reinstalling from the Live CD, selecting my /, /home, and swap partitions and not formatting (from some other posts), but the installer won't continue without reformating the / partition.

I would appreciate any help on how to fix this.

Thanks.

mikewhatever
June 9th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Reinstalling grub as shown in the guide you linked too, should also put it to the MBR of the first HDD with 'grub> setup (hd0)'. You should be able to boot Ubuntu after running the setup. If you haven't done it yet, backup the old menu.lst first.

Driver
June 9th, 2008, 02:49 AM
New Thread Started

meierfra.
June 9th, 2008, 06:23 AM
Driver: Please start your own thread, use the regular font size and get rid of the colors.