PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.04 install issue... I think.

Sanketsu
June 9th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Here's my issue: I've got two computers, one laptop, one desktop. Laptop upgraded from 7.10 near flawlessly. The desktop however I'm having one issue with. I've tried both installing straight from an 8.04 disk and also installing 7.10 and upgrading and I still have the problem. The desktop is an HP pavilion a1330n, and for some reason, I can't log in normally. The only way I'm able to log in to Ubuntu 8.04 is to click on the Options in the lower left of the screen and choose "Change Session" then chose "Gnome failsafe". Once I'm in on Gnome failsafe everything seems to work just fine. But I'm the only one who uses this computer and I like to have it boot up on it's own and auto log me in, which it won't do because of the problem. Also, to be a bit more discriptive, I try to log in using the proper username/password and the screen goes the normal brown and sits for a second, but then about 1/4 of the bottom of the screen goes black and it sits for another second, and then pops back out to the log in screen. I'm not sure what other info would be needed, so if I can do anything to help y'all help me, I'd be more than willing.

I'm not sure if this belongs in installation & upgrades, so if not, please move it to the proper subforum.