PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] [SOLVED] X restart problem

sammi.jo
June 9th, 2008, 12:59 AM
When I try ctrl+alt+backspace (when I've edited x and need to restart it), it kicks me off x as normal, takes me to a screen similar to startup (a type of verbose, no terminal properties) and then does.. nothing.

All I can do when I'm at this stage is restart my computer, which is probably killing the poor thing.

Any idea what may be wrong, or how I can get it to take me back to the login screen?

Bubba64
June 9th, 2008, 01:38 AM
When I try ctrl+alt+backspace (when I've edited x and need to restart it), it kicks me off x as normal, takes me to a screen similar to startup (a type of verbose, no terminal properties) and then does.. nothing.

All I can do when I'm at this stage is restart my computer, which is probably killing the poor thing.

Any idea what may be wrong, or how I can get it to take me back to the login screen?

What is the longest time you have waited to see if it will return to login.

sammi.jo
June 9th, 2008, 01:44 AM
In all honesty, about 10 seconds. Sounds silly, but with all my other distros (like Mint and Ubuntu Heron alpha) it does it within about 2. How long have you waited for it?

EDIT: Haha, quite funny, but I just pressed it again, ready to wait for longer, and it just did it straight away!

Bubba64
June 9th, 2008, 01:49 AM
In all honesty, about 10 seconds. Sounds silly, but with all my other distros (like Mint and Ubuntu Heron alpha) it does it within about 2. How long have you waited for it?

I have seen my older lap top take as long as (my estimation) a minute probably longer sometimes when just stopping X to change a desktop. When ever I get the message to close X for a change to take place I do a restart myself, but I am not a geek, I have no clue as to what the programs or distribution is doing.