PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] switch wireless cards

cartisdm
June 9th, 2008, 12:56 AM
I'm a victim of the 3945 wireless problems during the Hardy upgrade. I've decided I want to just deal with it until a "real" fix comes out. I have a USB linksys wireless card that I'm going to use. I just did a fresh install of Hardy and now I can't figure out how to get my computer to use the USB instead of the internal 3945 card

tribaal
June 9th, 2008, 01:01 AM
What problem are you referring to? I have a 3945 Intel chip and it works flawlessly...

Does this bug you mention have a launchpad entry? I'd be interested in helping out with it.

- Trib'

cartisdm
June 9th, 2008, 01:04 AM
What problem are you referring to? I have a 3945 Intel chip and it works flawlessly...

Does this bug you mention have a launchpad entry? I'd be interested in helping out with it.

- Trib'

this one (http://embeemb.blogspot.com/2008/05/wifi-on-hardy-heron-iwl3945.html) and here's some some more about it (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765647)

I can see wireless networks, then I can even connect to them (with confirmed connection) but I can't actually access anything online.

quelx
June 9th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Does your laptop have a hardware switch for the Intel card? Power down and flip the switch to the off position and fire it back up. Ubuntu (specifically nm-applet and its cronies) should pick up the new interface, if it doesn't require ndiswrapper or some such.

cartisdm
June 9th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Does your laptop have a hardware switch for the Intel card? Power down and flip the switch to the off position and fire it back up. Ubuntu (specifically nm-applet and its cronies) should pick up the new interface, if it doesn't require ndiswrapper or some such.

Nope, no hard switch on my laptop. I've used this card on another linux (puppy linux) laptop so I'm assuming it should work pretty well

quelx
June 9th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Nope, no hard switch on my laptop. I've used this card on another linux (puppy linux) laptop so I'm assuming it should work pretty well

add
blacklist iwl3945 to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist , reboot