PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Is a 17 inch laptop too big?

Polygon
June 9th, 2008, 12:47 AM
So I got a laptop today, and I could of sworn it was 15 inches but it turned out to be 17 (i think they misabled it and im an idiot and didnt notice the difference at the display) but anyway, my friend is telling me that 17 inches is gonna be a PITA to carry around (im getting this for college), is he right?

I got a 90 day return policy so i can just return it and get a new one.

%hMa@?b<C
June 9th, 2008, 12:50 AM
17 is pretty HUGE. I would recommend 15 or 14.1

tribaal
June 9th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I have been carrying my 17 inches laptop around for a couple of years.

It is totally true - the weight makes a huge difference when it's on your back all the time.
Time has come for me to replace it with something new, and I'm getting a 13 inches.

I suggest you aim for a 15 inches or 13 inches instead if you plan on moving it around all the time.
17 inches is only worth it if your laptop is more of a transportable "desktop replacement" for you (i.e. it mostly stays in one place).

Hope this helps :)

- Trib'

raul_
June 9th, 2008, 12:53 AM
So I got a laptop today, and I could of sworn it was 15 inches but it turned out to be 15

:cool:

i think 17" is too big (heavy) i own a 12" laptop. it depends on how you go to college (car, foot, bus), on your own size. and well, what you do with your computer and how comfortable your eyes feel

fissionmailed
June 9th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Even my 15 inch is too big sometimes. If I didn't it again I'd get a smaller laptop. A 17 is too big to be portable and not flexible hardware wise as a desktop, IMO it's the worst of both worlds.

Joeb454
June 9th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Yeah 17" laptops - love the screen size - but they are a total PITA to carry around on a daily basis, they're usually pretty heavy too which is the main reason.

Hope this helps :)

aysiu
June 9th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Yes, 17" is too big.

p_quarles
June 9th, 2008, 12:58 AM
17" is definitely going to be a pain to carry around. I have a 15.4" laptop, and I've many times thought I'd prefer to have a smaller one. While a larger screen size is nice for many things, portability is not one of them.

diablo75
June 9th, 2008, 12:58 AM
I have an HP zd7000. What's nice about it is the fact that it has a numberpad (they made use of that extra space from this 17 inch widescreen).

On the plus side: You'll probably wow some people running compiz on a 17 screen in the middle of a coffee shop...

On the downside: Your battery life isn't going to be very attractive. And it's heavy.

That's about as generic as I think I can get. I could go on with a couple minor complaints about my laptop in particular, but they're non-issues really, and don't exist everywhere.

shadylookin
June 9th, 2008, 01:03 AM
that would be too big for me. I have a 15 inch and I find that it really is too big. It's pretty heavy and with it's size it doesn't really comfortably fit on my lap

Polygon
June 9th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Hmmm. ok. I guess ill go return this and get a smaller one.

raul_
June 9th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Try walking around for a day with that one, and then trade it in and see how you feel

bufsabre666
June 9th, 2008, 01:48 AM
i had owned a 17 incher, its a great desktop replacement, but as a laptop, its way to much, it weighed almost 8lb, which it doesnt seem like much, and i got alot of crap from that from the old football team cause i used to squat 450 in the work outs and they wondered why i complained about an 8lb computer, but when youre hauling it, you notice it more and more

the yawner
June 9th, 2008, 02:03 AM
I only carry my 15" laptop when I bring it home during weekends. I can't stand it's weight on my shoulder everyday. Hehe.