PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Synaptic seems to be broken

MunkyJunky
June 8th, 2008, 09:56 PM
This has been going on a few days, and I have no idea how to fix it.

Every time I log in, I get Package manager telling me I have 64 available updates, but when I click 'install updates' a box appears on my task bar saying 'Starting Administra...'-something. Presumably administrative tasks, or something to that effect. Then Package manager seems to hang. The task bar box disappears, and package manager does nothing, all boxes grayed out & unclickable. I cant close it either, and am forced to shift it to another desktop so I dont have to look at it, or restart the machine.

Likewise when I tried to install some codecs for Movie Players (specifically ones for mp4 playback) exactly the same thing happens with the codec installation window.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Its driving me crazy! I run Ubuntu 8.04, Gnome.

Sef
June 9th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Try installing them from the Terminal:

Applications > Accessories > Terminal

then type or paste in this code:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Please post any success or failure here.

kjetilbmoe
June 9th, 2008, 12:37 AM
I just installed a bunch of updates to my newly acquired ubuntu 8 installation (hardy), and now, none of my "administrative" application will launch, as with the topic app "synaptics".

I originally discovered this problem running the "root console" - trying to sort out why I cannot change the listening port to the openssh config file, which I am unable to save, though being the admin user.

Explanations to both cases would be appreciated :)

MunkyJunky
June 9th, 2008, 12:41 AM
My problem is essentially the same - no admin apps want to work. I tried the aforementioned terminal commands, so far so good - everything seems to be installing. I'll post again when its finished with the final outcome.

EDIT: Everything installed fine, but I still can't install plug-ins to Movie Player. I think, although I've now got my system updates, the problem is no closer to being fixed.

Partyboi2
June 9th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Can you post the output to these commands

hostname
cat /etc/hosts

MunkyJunky
June 9th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Hostname outputs 'Odin' (the name of my computer).

cat /etc/hosts outputs the following:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 Odin.Aesir

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

However when I use terminal (e.g. I just tried 'Sudo apt-get update' to demonstrate this point) terminal outputs sudo: unable to resolve host Odin, then asks me for my root password.

I don't know if that makes any difference, but I thought it may be worth a mention.

Partyboi2
June 9th, 2008, 05:39 AM
boot into recovery mode and then open up your hosts file

nano /etc/hosts
then change this line

127.0.1.1 Odin.Aesir
to what your hostname is, in your case Odin

127.0.1.1 Odin then save and exit (Ctrl+o, enter, Ctrl+x)
reboot

MunkyJunky
June 9th, 2008, 02:09 PM
That seems to have fixed it. Just for reference, my new cat /etc/hosts reads:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 Odin

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Movie Player finally let me install those codecs, and a 'sudo apt-get update' no longer pops up an error.

Thanks for all your help! If it stops working again, I'll see if the same thing happened again, otherwise I'll post back here.

othcsr
June 10th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Thank you, this fixed the administrative problems i was having after upgrade to 8.o4
othcsr

CaminoSS
June 15th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I had the same problem and added the line 127.0.1.1 host-name to the System/Administration/Network Network Settings Hosts tab. This solved the problem also.

Cheers

Bob Unitt
June 15th, 2008, 05:15 PM
This fix worked for me as well - thanks Partyboi2.

Is removing the workgroup name from the /etc/hosts file likely to have any adverse effects elsewhere in the system ?

Partyboi2
June 16th, 2008, 08:14 AM
This fix worked for me as well - thanks Partyboi2.

Is removing the workgroup name from the /etc/hosts file likely to have any adverse effects elsewhere in the system ?
correcting the hostname in the hosts file should not have any adverse effects

VMC
June 16th, 2008, 06:03 PM
boot into recovery mode and then open up your hosts file

nano /etc/hosts
then change this line

to what your hostname is, in your case Odin

127.0.1.1 Odin then save and exit (Ctrl+o, enter, Ctrl+x)
reboot

My hostname & the line contaning 127.0.1.1 are the same. But, how did other people find it changed in the first place?

I wouldn't have even thought of looking there. Thanks!

Avaris
June 22nd, 2008, 11:08 AM
Have been looking for a fix at several websites but only this one worked

Thanks a bunch, now my install of ubuntu 8.04 is working like a penguin swimming through water :)