PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] networking two ubuntu computers

ymp
June 8th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I have two dual boot computers and have been trying to setup a home network between them in vain,
I have tried installing samba, and configuring files to share,
I consistently run into permission problems, as in I do not have write permissions, so cannot add write permissions to a file,
I can find no command that allows entire partitions to be shared,
I cannot see the machines on the Places>Network area,
I've read a few dozen posts and tutorials on this and worked endless hours on what seems like it should be simple,
but for now need to boot into Windows on both machines just to transfer files,
I'll assume I am going about this task in a Windows fashion rather than Ubuntu, but don't seem to know how to ask the right questions....
Assistance appreciated

dwhitney67
June 8th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Sawadee khrap

Have you tried sharing a folder on a Windows system. From there, your Ubuntu system should be able to see it (providing of course the Windows machine is powered-on and running). You can do the same for any printer you may have.

You mentioned dual-booting. If you have a system with Windows and Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is running, then obviously the Windows system will not appear in the network folder.

ymp
June 8th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I am trying to transfer files between the computers when in Ubuntu, I can transfer files between them when both are booted in Windows, but not in Ubuntu