PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome-Do?

professorTHC
June 8th, 2008, 08:07 PM
So i installed gnome-do and it opens fine and searches things just fine, but i cant click on anything in there. it just does a search and thats it. and i cant have it stay on the desktop, it opens in the middle and if i click away from it it goes away. im not sure how much functionality this little app has..

laptoplinux
June 11th, 2008, 12:50 AM
It's basically a little app launcher. Not too different from the Alt+F2 launcher. Activate it, start typing, and it will soon guess what you want from the keystrokes. I think it learns, too. If you, say, make a habit of opening Firefox with it, pretty soon it will just assume you wanted Firefox as a first guess after only typing "F." You can also use the down arrow to choose from other similar options. (Things close to the letters you've already typed in)

There is also a way to use it as a light and quick file browser for simple tasks.

I don't know. For several things I find that typing "Ctrl-Space, <a letter or two>, Enter" is a bit faster than mousing over to the icon or using the alt+f2 launcher, but I'll admit that currently its a toss-up for me between the alt+f2 launcher and gnome-do

Bubba64
June 11th, 2008, 01:52 AM
It's basically a little app launcher. Not too different from the Alt+F2 launcher. Activate it, start typing, and it will soon guess what you want from the keystrokes. I think it learns, too. If you, say, make a habit of opening Firefox with it, pretty soon it will just assume you wanted Firefox as a first guess after only typing "F." You can also use the down arrow to choose from other similar options. (Things close to the letters you've already typed in)

There is also a way to use it as a light and quick file browser for simple tasks.

I don't know. For several things I find that typing "Ctrl-Space, <a letter or two>, Enter" is a bit faster than mousing over to the icon or using the alt+f2 launcher, but I'll admit that currently its a toss-up for me between the alt+f2 launcher and gnome-do

Yes it does keep the used directs at the top of the list. If you type the first letter of what you want and hit the down key it will give you a drop down, and the more letters of an application generally will shorten the list. What ever you choose to run should be at the top of the list next time, and the next time you only need one or a couple of letters to get the link

priegog
June 12th, 2008, 09:23 PM
What professorTHC probably means, and it's a problem I'm having too, is that it is not behaving as it should: ie. it's a bug. Could you (professorTHC) confirm that you experience this in version 0.5 from the custom repo's and could teh rest of you confirm that you do NOT use this version?