PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Java Firefox plugin

rveska
June 8th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Hi.
I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 from 7.10, and suddenly Java stopped working in Firefox (I don't know if anything els uses Java). Instead of starting the applet, a Grey box appears and the browser says:

starting applet...
Applet loaded.
Start: applet not initialized

Does anyone know why this has happened? I didn't problems with Java on 7.10.
Everything els is working amazingly well. I have tried to reinstall all the Java-components I could find in the package manager.

BG
Rasmus

CameO73
June 8th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Hmmm... I had a similar problem. But only with signed applets (which I use a lot for my work). It seems OpenJDK (the open source version of Java that is included in Ubuntu 8.04) has currently no support for signed applets.

My solution (for this case) was to remove all OpenJDK packages (search for icedtea in Synaptic) and install the Sun version. Search for sun-java in Synaptic; you must have enabled the Multiverse for this to work: Settings -> Repositories -> check 'Software restricted by copyright or legal issues (multiverse)'. You only need the sun-java5-jre or sun-java6-jre and the sun-java5-plugin / sun-java6-plugin. Go for version 6 if you have no special reason to use 5.

jashin
June 8th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Hi.
I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 from 7.10, and suddenly Java stopped working in Firefox (I don't know if anything els uses Java). Instead of starting the applet, a Grey box appears and the browser says:

starting applet...
Applet loaded.
Start: applet not initialized

Does anyone know why this has happened? I didn't problems with Java on 7.10.
Everything els is working amazingly well. I have tried to reinstall all the Java-components I could find in the package manager.

BG
Rasmus

Installing firefox java plugin via apt-get etc. didn't solved this problem on my computer. But this finally helped me:
1. locate ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so (you will get the path of libjavaplugin_oji.so - if you have java installed)
2. locate -r /firefox/plugins$ (to get the full path of firefox plugins directory)
3. create symlink of libjavaplugin_oji.so in firefox/plugins directory (in my case sudo ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.06/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/
4. restart firefox

CameO73
June 9th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Hmmm... the solution jashin suggests is usually only required if you manually install a Sun Java version (e.g. from www.java.com (http://www.java.com)). But if all else fails...

Btw, you can see what plugin you use for Java in Firefox:

type about:plugins in the Firefox address bar
look for the Java plugin (somewhere at the bottom)
if all is well, you see something like filename: libjavaplugin_oji.so, Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_06

RikardSvenningsen
June 15th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I upgraded from Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04 on serval pc's without any problems but i got to pc's in particular one xubuntu upgraded from 6.06 to 8.04 all working whit my bank (SUN java) including 8.04, but on my ubuntu 6.06 upgraded to ubuntu 7.10 no problem whit my bank then upgraded to 8.04 now I got problem whit my bank I get this

You didn't accept the certificate from the bank
Restart your browser and accept the certificate
whit grant or grant always.

But I don't get this question at all..!
Now I checked my Java on www.java.com to check my Java version. I don't get an error but I don't get the figure as I should I only get at grey box.

I tried Jashin's post but it didn't work for me.
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.06/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins

as sudo su i did this:
ln -s /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.06/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/

Do anyone know what's the wrong?

rveska
June 19th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Hmmm... the solution jashin suggests is usually only required if you manually install a Sun Java version (e.g. from www.java.com (http://www.java.com)). But if all else fails...

Btw, you can see what plugin you use for Java in Firefox:

type about: plugins in the Firefox address bar
look for the Java plugin (somewhere at the bottom)
if all is well, you see something like filename: libjavaplugin_oji.so, Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_06

Hi again.
I've tried both methods now, and I do get the right information from the about: plugins, but the applets still wan't work proberly...
Now it is something about security class not found...

Guess it is the same thing as Rikard reports

rveska
June 19th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I've just tried java.com to see if they had any points, and it turned out, that my java worked there as it should, so I guess the problem is at the other end of the line.
Anyway thanks for the help.

Rasmus