PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] HOWTO: Change GNOME colors and fonts!

Tibco
June 8th, 2008, 06:12 PM
This is my first HOWTO, so it may not be spiffy, but i had a lot of trouble with this problem and i found an easy solution, so i want to share it with the rest of the community.

Have you changed your GNOME panels to tranparent and can't see the writing because of your dark desktop wallpaper? Would you like to turn white? Bold it? Change your desktop fonts? Luckily, i found an easy way to do that without complicated editing of files.

(1) Go to Synaptic Package Manager.

(2) Click Search and type in "gnome-color-chooser" (without the quotes of course)

(3) Install the package by checking it and then clicking apply.

(4) Go to System-->Preferences-->GNOME Color Chooser

(5) From here, if you want to change your panel font white, go to the panel tab, and check the box next to normal, under foreground. It should be, by default, white.

(6) Same goes for desktop font color.

Hope this has been helpful. There have been posts regrading this, but they seem much more complicated than is necessary, So for the average linux nub (like me) this would be a life saver.

KaliVoid
June 12th, 2008, 10:52 PM
i was wondering where these options are hiding :)

alwiap
June 12th, 2008, 11:05 PM
This is my first HOWTO, so it may not be spiffy, but i had a lot of trouble with this problem and i found an easy solution, so i want to share it with the rest of the community.

Have you changed your GNOME panels to tranparent and can't see the writing because of your dark desktop wallpaper? Would you like to turn white? Bold it? Change your desktop fonts? Luckily, i found an easy way to do that without complicated editing of files.

(1) Go to Synaptic Package Manager.

(2) Click Search and type in "gnome-color-chooser" (without the quotes of course)

(3) Install the package by checking it and then clicking apply.

(4) Go to System-->Preferences-->GNOME Color Chooser

(5) From here, if you want to change your panel font white, go to the panel tab, and check the box next to normal, under foreground. It should be, by default, white.

(6) Same goes for desktop font color.

Hope this has been helpful. There have been posts regrading this, but they seem much more complicated than is necessary, So for the average linux nub (like me) this would be a life saver.

works like a charm, and you don't need to restart X to see the changes, fixed my panel that I had trouble reading immediately, thanks for pointing this out!