PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Need help installing Ubuntu

June 8th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I got a Linux DVD from a local magazine, but I haven't been able to fully install it properly. The DVD contains Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu. My laptop already has Windows XP installed, but I'm willing to reformat everything since it's still relatively new. When I boot from DVD, it gives me the option to run CDLinux or boot from hard drive. If I boot from hard drive, XP loads. If I run CDLinux, the DVD runs Xubuntu as a live CD.

I've successfully installed Ubuntu through Wubi, but it only allows installation of up to 30GB. As I said, I want a clean install. Downloading the ISO is not an option since internet connection here is horrible. Therefore I'm asking which files are necessary to burn into an ISO so that I can properly install Ubuntu, or if there is a way to do so without burning a new ISO. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here is the content of the DVD. I'm not going to list everything since it's otherwise a very long list.

boot
-CDLinux
--autoboot
---.config
---bzImage
---CDLinux
--extra
---firmwares
--lang
-grub
--memdisk
--menu.lst
--splash.xpm
stage2_eltorito
-boot.catalog

DVD1-IL062008
-browser, database, plugin, utility, etc...
-distro
--ubuntu
--kubuntu
--xubuntu

MD5SUM-DVD1-IL062008

shifty_powers
June 8th, 2008, 11:45 AM
do you mind waiting a week or two? if so, try shipit and canonical will ship you a copy of your choice for free on cd,...

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

hovzio
June 8th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I would download Ubuntu from the ubuntu website. Use the desktop cd.
http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download

The Cog
June 8th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Are there any .ISO files in the distro folders? I wonder if you might find a CD image you could burn. I would expect that there is a way to do it, since they claim the DVD contains Ubuntu and Kubuntu.

The Cosmic Hobo
June 8th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Isn't it normal for Ubuntu live CDs/DVDs to have an "install" option on the desktop when booted? I know the CDs I've used do, but I can't comment on your DVD.

Been out of the loop a couple of years so I'm not familiar with Wubi, but it sounds like an Ubuntu installer that runs under Windows. Of course it won't let you totally wipe Windows while it's running - it's nigh-on impossible to do that while Windows is up. I don't think you can even format your HD from within Windows. So that's a normal restriction.

ugm6hr
June 8th, 2008, 12:45 PM
If I run CDLinux, the DVD runs Xubuntu as a live CD.

Why not just install Xubuntu then?

Once installed, you should be able to install Gnome (ubuntu-desktop) from the DVD, assuming the files are on there somewhere.

That will give you both Ubuntu and Xubuntu (and you could remove Xubuntu if you wanted).

Out of interest - does it boot directly to the Xubuntu desktop, or does it go to a "login" screen. It might be worth "logging out" of the Xubuntu LiveCD, and seeing what options you get. I have never used an install DVD, but I suspect that you should be able to select "Gnome" from the login options (after logging out).

PS: Which magazine / country did you get the DVD from?

stalkingwolf
June 8th, 2008, 12:49 PM
sounds like your best bet would be to order one from shipit,
or check to see if you have a LoCo team http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=183 in your area. I think they usually have them available.

drs305
June 8th, 2008, 12:51 PM
The current 32-bit ubuntu iso image that you download from the site is called ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso and is 699 MB. The 64-bit AMD version is called ubuntu-8.04-desktop-amd64.iso and is 697 MB. Since you have a DVD it's possible the entire image is on your disk. If so, you could burn that iso to a CD and try to install it.

As the Cosmic Hobo stated, if you can start with the LiveCD instead of booting into windows, there is normally an "Install" icon in the upper left. Of course, I would expect you would have to boot from the LiveCD instead of into windows to run this.

bikinguy77388
June 8th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Hi 843,

Best of luck to you. Newbie here and have been using HH for about 2 weeks now.

I would urge you to NOT delete your winXP install but set up a dedicated partition in which to run HH in.

HH really behaves like a beta install.

After using HH for awhile then delete XP if you so choose.

bikinguy

June 8th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I've been using HH for awhile from the Wubi installation and it's pretty easy to use. It's still pretty troublesome navigating folders since I don't know where things are supposed to be, but I think it should be second nature in time.

So is this the file I'm supposed to be burning? Somehow I missed this file since it appears to be a RAR archive without file extension enabled.

http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=48483553dz3.jpg

drs305
June 8th, 2008, 02:04 PM
So is this the file I'm supposed to be burning? Somehow I missed this file since it appears to be a RAR archive without file extension enabled.

http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=48483553dz3.jpg

The image link you provided looks exactly like the latest ubuntu LiveCD of 32-bit hardy. If you can make a cd with that image, you should be good to go. I'd use a slow speed.

June 8th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I guess that's the one, thanks for the help, guys! :)

Now the problem is installing the rest of the programs from the DVD, I hope that's not too difficult...

ugm6hr
June 8th, 2008, 02:13 PM
The image link you provided looks exactly like the latest ubuntu LiveCD of 32-bit hardy. If you can make a cd with that image, you should be good to go. I'd use a slow speed.

You are looking for a file called ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso, which is presumably within that RAR.

drs305
June 8th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Just to clarify the last couple of posts (and especially mine). If you look at the image you posted, it shows that the contents you are looking at are contained in ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso So you would move one directory/folder up and you should see the iso listed. The iso is what you want to burn to disk.

For a good guide and techniques for burning the iso, look at the following:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso

Added: You mentioned a RAR archive. It is possible the iso is contained within the RAR. If that is the case, you may first have to extract it from the RAR and then burn the extracted iso. I noticed on the image you posted that there is an "Extract to" button which should make this easy.

balachandarlinks
June 8th, 2008, 02:48 PM
:KS
Hey that is the iso file...since u doesnt install any iso software winrar opens the iso....So u first install iso burning tool like power iso and then burn the iso to a cd or dvd...then boot with it....

then it is simple to follow the steps and install the ubuntu....If u want Xp then install ubuntu in a partition...else just click the Guided Installation....

Dont go with WUBI if u dont want windows...it might need windows...

Thats all...I think it ll solve ur problem...:popcorn:

Sealbhach
June 8th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Once you get the ISO disk burned to a CD, you can install a dual-boot, which I would recommend if you're new to Linux.

There's a good walkthrough guide here:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

June 8th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Everything up and running now. Thanks for the help! :)