PDA

View Full Version : [other] Where do I install Xbuntu too - In under 256mb ram system?

June 8th, 2008, 09:02 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5106043

I'm trying to install Xbuntu 8.04 onto a computer with a little under 256mb of ram. I'm unfamiliar with using 'run' and do not no the correct patch to the iso located on my desktop.

Bubba64
June 8th, 2008, 09:04 AM
How much ram do you have.

June 8th, 2008, 09:07 AM
How much ram do you have.

248mb

Bubba64
June 8th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I am running the Hardy alternative download iso on 256 with xubuntu installed as well, here is the daily xubuntu iso
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/ports/daily-live/current/
Could not find the daily alternative for xubuntu
You could install the regular Hardy daily iso alternative with that amount of ram and install the xubuntu desktop as well from the terminal if you wanted.

June 8th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I am running the Hardy alternative download iso on 256 with xubuntu installed as well, here is the daily xubuntu iso
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/ports/daily-live/current/
Could not find the daily alternative for xubuntu
You could install the regular Hardy daily iso alternative with that amount of ram and install the xubuntu desktop as well from the terminal if you wanted.

1. I'm slightly under 256mb somehow.
2. I tried hardy and it tells me the same thing.

Bubba64
June 8th, 2008, 09:20 AM
1. I'm slightly under 256mb somehow.
2. I tried hardy and it tells me the same thing.

Were you trying to install the desktop CD instead of the alternative.

June 8th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Were you trying to install the desktop CD instead of the alternative.

I've tried it for both and it still gets the popup that says I'm under 256mb and then does nothing.

Bubba64
June 8th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Well that is the end of my ideas as I am not a true geek, other than making sure that the alternative iso is a good download and investigating the actual amount of ram you do have or that is working I don't know what to say. When I looked on google there were people who have installed xubuntu with 128 and less ram but it may be compiled setups, you might find some more minimal downloads to start with off the net. You might just buy a bigger ram stick. Good luck, hopefully somebody else will post with better ideas.

June 8th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Ok pretty much all I need to know is how to type out the ubuntuinstaller iso directory. It's currently located on my desktop.

I know in Ubuntu it would be under /home/username/Desktop.

Bubba64
June 8th, 2008, 10:06 AM
So your trying to install the iso without burning a CD there are a couple of threads on the forum about installing this way or from a usb. If you are doing a dual boot and you have stuff your trying to save make sure you know what your doing, this is beyond my expertise, I just down load
an iso and burn a cd then install having the burnt cd can save you a lot of time if something gets boinked.

June 8th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I tried this in run,

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\xubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso\wubi.exe --skipmemorycheck

And I get a error back:
Windows cannot find'C:\Documents'. Make sure you typed the named correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.

:confused: :confused: :confused: