PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Scrolling in Firefox uses lots of processing power

Beatbreaker
June 8th, 2008, 06:43 AM
I'm using Firefox and I've noticed that when i scroll on some pages (like the length of the "Post New Thread" page on these forums), I get a less than instant reaction from the program.

I also then checked my CPU usage and it shoots up to around 60% just when i'm scrolling. If i'm on a long page it goes even higher. What's happening here? Is it a video driver problem? or is it Firefox 3's issue?

Bachstelze
June 8th, 2008, 06:48 AM
Is it a video driver problem?

Most likely, yes. What kind of video card do you have, and do you have proper drivers installed for it?

Beatbreaker
June 8th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I'm using an Nvidia card - not sure what type but it was extra when i bought my Dell Inspiton 1720. I've got compiz fusion working no problems - does that mean that the drivers are ok too?

forger
June 8th, 2008, 07:44 AM
are you using ubuntu hardy heron 8.04?
head to menu system > administration > hardware drivers, make sure your graphics card driver is checked and enabled there

also, in firefox menu edit > preferences > advanced > general > uncheck "enable smooth scrolling"

Bachstelze
June 8th, 2008, 07:45 AM
If Compiz works, yes, your drivers are OK. Do you still have that scrolling problem with Compiz disabled?

Beatbreaker
June 8th, 2008, 01:05 PM
ok here's what i've found:

I've got what appears to be the proper NVIDIA driver "NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (latest cards) - ticked, green light, in use.

No problems there, the only difference is that i remember that i once installed the Nvidia drivers and i had an Nvidia control panel in the system > preferences area. This time i don't have that, i don't think i should be worried though.

The other thing that i found is that turning off smooth scrolling fixes it a little - apperance wise it seems better and more responsive, in the Processor meter
it still shoots up around the same area.

I turned off Compiz fusion and when i do scroll now instead of the CPU usage shooting to 70% it goes up around to 30%. But i can't do without Compiz Fusion so i want to know if there is a setting i might have on that is doing that to my scrolling?

actually i did a little more playing, i got Compiz back into gear and i think the usage percentage is lower now - I think it might have been the smooth scrolling option. Thanks forger & all others helping me out on this one