PDA

View Full Version : HowTO:-Installation of Ubuntu on a Dell Inspiron 1100 along with additions

steppedup
June 8th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Hi all,

Here is an "A to Z" installation Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon on a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop that originally had an A6 BIOS - and still has 256 MB of RAM. Tried 8.04 and it was not a fun experience.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=d2frfsz_72ds254kf6

Anyway, the original goal was for my non-techie fiancee to use her slagged off XP laptop to flawlessly to access all Ubuntu apps, some Windows Apps like Internet Explorer - all while in a Mac OS X skinning of the laptop's OS.

Covered are:
All of the multiple fixes for the graphics drivers/ black screen issue have been compiled here - and and logically listed so as to maximize installation efficiency.
A more complete walk-through of the BIOS fixes needed to upgrade from A6 to A22 to A32.
Walk-through of how to clean out the laptop so it stops overheating. Very relevant to the Dell Inspiron owner trying to install Ubuntu. If they think their laptop is overheating because of the OS...well, we just lost another customer.
Brief walk-through of the installation with the alternative CD for i386 that was used - including CD download, burning, checking CD quality - all focused at the lesser experienced user.

You might argue the following really aren't part of installation, but I disagree. Unless we can get the box set up so that our users can do whatever they can do with a Mac or a Windows box, then the installation is not over.

How to tweak Ubuntu so it's moving along nicely.
How to get that magical OSX look. Quickly. Easily.
How to get the major apps that are needed on the net today.

So did it pass the test? What's the phrase? Keep the wife happy, keep your life happy?

My life is very happy....

Hopefully this will help yours be happy too:

Cheers,

Stepped It Up