PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Extract Zip Files!!

mde123
June 8th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Hi i have am having a really hard time extracting a zip file that i got, and file roller wont let me open it, and i really REALLY dont want to have to use
a command line. Just please tell me the packages i need, or what i need to edit!

PLease and thank you.

Barriehie
June 8th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Hi i have am having a really hard time extracting a zip file that i got, and file roller wont let me open it, and i really REALLY dont want to have to use
a command line. Just please tell me the packages i need, or what i need to edit!

PLease and thank you.

I'm using Gutsy 7.10 and Applications > Accessories > Archive Manager should do the trick.

Barrie

hopelessone
June 8th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Can't you just right click the file and select "Extract Here"...?

forger
June 8th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Either the zip file you found is broken (bad download?) or you can post the error it gives.

P.S. Barriehie: file-roller = Archive manager

ubunken
November 11th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Hi i have extracted the files using right click > extract here.. however i have to move the file to another location but whenever i try moving it, i will receive an Error moving file : Permission denied, is there anyway that i can move the files? Thanks in advance

handydan918
November 11th, 2008, 04:20 AM
If you are getting a permissions error, then you are probably trying to copy the file to a location outside of /home/your_username.

Try (in a terminal)
gksudo nautilus

redseventyseven
November 11th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Hi i have extracted the files using right click > extract here.. however i have to move the file to another location but whenever i try moving it, i will receive an Error moving file : Permission denied, is there anyway that i can move the files? Thanks in advance

If you're getting permission errors when moving the file, then it sounds like you're trying to move it to a place where it isn't a good idea to move it to. I would strongly advise against using "sudo" or "gksudo" (the commands you use to run programs as the administrator) willy-nilly.

Could you post where you intend to move the file to? Thanks.

ubunken
November 11th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I am planning to move the file from desktop to /var/www and another file to /tmp

handydan918
November 11th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I am planning to move the file from desktop to /var/www and another file to /tmp

Or you could just delete them.

You DO know that's what happens to everything in /tmp at reboot, right?