PDA

View Full Version : Previous voltage failure

stair314
June 8th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Not really a Ubuntu question, but I figured people around here know about computers...
I upgraded the graphics card on an old-ish PC that no one was using in my lab recently. Ever since it has said "previous voltage failure" on startup. I've never seen this message before, so I'm wondering,
how bad is it? It doesn't seem to cause any trouble with its operation right now....
and how do I fix it? The graphics card seems to be in the slot fine, especially considering that it is successfully driving the monitor at very high resolutions and appears to be accelerating OpenGL apps, etc. The graphics card is a GeForce 7 that does not take an extra power supply or anything.
The old graphics card was a WinFast of some sort based on the GeForce 5. It had an extra power cable attached to it, which is now loose.
Any help is much appreciated...

NovaAesa
June 8th, 2008, 06:04 AM
This may not be too useful, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I wouldn't be concerned until something bad happens because of it.

Maybe you have to fiddle with something in the BOIS though, but I wouldn't bother if it's doing the right job.

tgalati4
June 8th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Sounds like the graphics card is pulling down the voltage rails on start up. Not critical until the power supply fails.

stair314
June 8th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Well presumably I don't want the power supply to fail... what exactly are the "voltage rails"?
Does this mean the graphics card is not installed right or that there is something wrong with the graphics card itself? Is there a way to diagnose it?