PDA

View Full Version : Set the internet Free with Icecat

drascus
June 8th, 2008, 04:15 AM
Firefox is a wonderful browser but version 3 has a few annoying quirks. things like it locking up and the fact that many of the plugins are not longer compatible with it. On top of that Firefox's license is slowly becoming more restrictive with each release. So i have gone in search of a better more free alternative.
I tried epiphany but it seemed really limited and i didn't like the interface for it. Then I found Icecat. It installs very simply from a script and then you just need to make a launcher for it.
What's so great about it? well first of all it looks identical to FF. that is a big help for me because i like FF's interface. second many of the plugins for FF2 are compatible with it. third it is completely Free Software.
Limitations: you can't just install plugins for adobe flash and such. I don't find that a problem because I use unplug to just download and watch flash videos. I also haven't really found a way to install themes.

If you would like a good FF alternative look no further.

Yuki_Nagato
June 8th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Alright, I will run Firefox 3 Beta and IceCat side by side now.

SunnyRabbiera
June 8th, 2008, 05:22 AM
actually i am more looking at debians iceweasel these days.

madjr
June 8th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Limitations: you can't just install plugins for adobe flash and such. I don't find that a problem because I use unplug to just download and watch flash videos. I also haven't really found a way to install themes.

so you mean, that not even gnash or swfdec work with this...?

jrusso2
June 8th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Firefox is a wonderful browser but version 3 has a few annoying quirks. things like it locking up and the fact that many of the plugins are not longer compatible with it. On top of that Firefox's license is slowly becoming more restrictive with each release. So i have gone in search of a better more free alternative.
I tried epiphany but it seemed really limited and i didn't like the interface for it. Then I found Icecat. It installs very simply from a script and then you just need to make a launcher for it.
What's so great about it? well first of all it looks identical to FF. that is a big help for me because i like FF's interface. second many of the plugins for FF2 are compatible with it. third it is completely Free Software.

If you would like a good FF alternative look no further.

Firefox is free software. I don't have any problem with them having a copyright on their name. The latest beta is very stable and most of the extensions I use are still working.

To me its less freedom that I am not allowed to use flash with icecat. That removes one of my freedoms

Bubba64
June 8th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Firefox is free software. I don't have any problem with them having a copyright on their name. The latest beta is very stable and most of the extensions I use are still working.

Ditto and nightly tester tools will force any add on to work in FF3 I have been using the launchpad releases of rc1 & rc2 the days they came out launchpad has been releasing xulrunner with compatibility with their releases. I would wonder if Icecat has the same reliability in security that FF supposedly has.

SomeGuyDude
June 8th, 2008, 09:15 AM
If my plugins will work and it accepts GTK, I'll try it out.

bufsabre666
June 8th, 2008, 09:43 AM
actually i am more looking at debians iceweasel these days.

+1 iceweasel is great, its even optimized for 64 bit computers

rajeev1204
June 8th, 2008, 09:46 AM

Yes, so i hear.Iceweasel is pretty great .

atomkarinca
June 8th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Yes, so i hear.Iceweasel is pretty great .

So is Seamonkey.

sub2007
June 8th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I used Iceweasel for a while and then switched over to Swiftweasel, which is built on Iceweasel but optimized for your processor. It's very stable, fast (although I'm not sure how much faster it is than plain Iceweasel or Firefox b5) and doesn't restrict you in being able to use Flash, in fact when I installed it onto Hardy it ran the Ubuntu automatic installer as soon as I visited Youtube (same as it would in Firefox). When I installed it first time (migrating from Firefox) it automatically found all my Firefox plugins too (as it reads your Mozilla directories) so Flash worked as soon as it was installed! It also looks identical to Firefox and is completely free software. And it also has a Ubuntu repository so it will keep you automatically updated when new versions come out and it makes installation easier (a big advantage for me over Iceweasel where you had to drop the file in your home directory and make a launcher for it).

So definitely if you're tempted to try Icecat give a look at Swiftweasel, it seems to have all the benefits mentioned as well as a few more perks.

drascus
June 10th, 2008, 04:23 PM
so you mean, that not even gnash or swfdec work with this...?

well I have read that you can but I haven't figured out how.

drascus
June 10th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Firefox is free software

here is section 3 of FF license

3. PROPRIETARY RIGHTS. Portions of the Product are available in source code form under the terms of the Mozilla Public License and other open source licenses (collectively, "Open Source Licenses") at http://www.mozilla.org. Nothing in this Agreement will be construed to limit any rights granted under the Open Source Licenses. Subject to the foregoing, Mozilla, for itself and on behalf of its licensors, hereby reserves all intellectual property rights in the Product, except for the rights expressly granted in this Agreement. You may not remove or alter any trademark, logo, copyright or other proprietary notice in or on the Product. This license does not grant you any right to use the trademarks, service marks or logos of Mozilla or its licensor

now to me "portions of the product" means that the source code for the complete product is not available.

then there is this

DURING THE MOZILLA FIREFOX INSTALLATION PROCESS, AND AT LATER TIMES, YOU MAY BE GIVEN THE OPTION OF INSTALLING ADDITIONAL COMPONENTS FROM THIRD-PARTY SOFTWARE PROVIDERS. THE INSTALLATION AND USE OF THOSE THIRD-PARTY COMPONENTS MAY BE GOVERNED BY ADDITIONAL LICENSE AGREEMENTS.

so there may be stuff in the installation of FF that is proprietary. though I am not saying I am 100% sure. again that is the point of using icecat I don't have to worry about wether or not it might be Free Software.

beercz
June 10th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Free? From what?

s3a
July 6th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Can someone help me install the latest IceCat in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS x86_64?

wrtpeeps
July 6th, 2008, 12:03 PM
here is section 3 of FF license

now to me "portions of the product" means that the source code for the complete product is not available.

then there is this

so there may be stuff in the installation of FF that is proprietary. though I am not saying I am 100% sure. again that is the point of using icecat I don't have to worry about wether or not it might be Free Software.

Firefox licence is perfectly fine.

As for the second bit I believe that may be plugins.

s3a
July 8th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Can people vote for my idea in my signature please? I believe this is where the right people are located ;).

cardinals_fan
July 8th, 2008, 02:28 AM
That's Swiftweasel. Iceweasel is identical to Firefox, sans the so-called "restrictive" license.

Polygon
July 8th, 2008, 02:36 AM
i dont see why people complain about a 'restrictive' licence that only applies to the logo and the name, and then use COMPLETELY closed source software such as flash, and then most likely are using restrictive drivers for wifi or 3d acceleration.

the program is open source. the only thing that isnt is the logo, the name and the bug reporter which isnt even present in the linux version. the only other benefit iceweasel/cat has over firefox is some random privacy thing using 0 size files for ad tracking? Ill just keep firefox and use adblock/noscript thanks

But whatever floats your boat

FlyingIsFun1217
July 8th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Ditto and nightly tester tools will force any add on to work in FF3

Not if they are truly incompatible (as in the API to FF), in which case it will run, but function incorrectly.

FlyingIsFun1217

dragonfoundry
July 17th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Can someone help me install the latest IceCat in Ubuntu 8.04 LTS x86_64?

After some searching I followed the guide at http://www.linuxconfig.org/GNU_IceCat

chris4585
July 18th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I'm sticking with ff2, because of ff3's bugs... that would be a lot easier for the OP... thats just my opinion

Black Razor
October 19th, 2008, 04:30 AM
i dont see why people complain about a 'restrictive' licence that only applies to the logo and the name, and then use COMPLETELY closed source software such as flash, and then most likely are using restrictive drivers for wifi or 3d acceleration.

the program is open source. the only thing that isnt is the logo, the name and the bug reporter which isnt even present in the linux version. the only other benefit iceweasel/cat has over firefox is some random privacy thing using 0 size files for ad tracking? Ill just keep firefox and use adblock/noscript thanks

But whatever floats your boat

AMEN! Seriously, lets stop the flame wars. When it comes to Linux your free to be a hardcore FOSS only person or to not care. Either way your using Linux, so it doesn't matter. Just stop all these pointless arguments. Just because person X believes that you should use only FOSS, doenst mean person Y is wrong because they use something that isnt...and polygon is especially right about how people are arguing about FF having a clause that protects their logo and name, yet they use all these other apps which are completely proprietary.

Stop complaining, and just use what makes you happy. Leave your personal bias to yourself, and try to be a helpful citizen in the forums. Oh, and let me point out that when your expressing your opinion, please leave it at that. When you make a statement that is argumentative about your opinion it reveals that what you really mean is "I'm right, and your wrong". This is no longer an opinion then, because your trying to force your opinion on other individuals. You can't prove your or anyone elses opinion wrong. You can only dispute a fact. So please try to stick with neutral comments like Chris4585's. Note how it's just an expression of his personal reasons why he does X or doesnt.

*exhale* Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to get back to making fun of my Windows using friends. :) J/K.

rdiggs
February 6th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I am still very very new to linux and couldn't be happier. I like the idea of open source and free software and the logo stuff with FF doesn't really bother me too much. I agree with the point made earlier that it doesn't really make a difference when we still rely on Adobe. However it is my opinion that Windows users come off a little silly when they run a full-on proprietary OS then pull up an open source browser.

I may seem like a snob, but I would really just like to differentiate myself from Windows users. I'm not intentially breaking away from the norm but I do like the novelty of using something different.

The biggest concern is functionality and FF works just fine for me as well as Iceweasel.

wolfen69
February 6th, 2009, 09:22 PM
i rely on flash heavily, so any browser that can't run it is a no-go.