PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Two questions in one. (Evolution removal and Icon removal)

Indy452
June 8th, 2008, 03:32 AM
I do not use Evolution mail at all, and instead of continuing to upgrade it every so often I am wondering if I can remove it safely?
If so, how should I do it?

Also, I tried another browser called Galeon and after decidingf I did'nt like it I decided to remove it. Well Galeon is gone but the icon is still present in my "Internet" category. How do I remove that icon?

Thank you.

Neal

Partyboi2
June 8th, 2008, 04:33 AM
To remove the Galeon entry, Open up "Main Menu" (System>Pref>Main Menu) and untick or remove it from the list.

Edit: To remove evolution open a terminal and

sudo apt-get remove evolutionIf you want to remove all the config files for it as well add the --purge option

sudo apt-get remove --purge evolution

Indy452
June 8th, 2008, 01:05 PM
To remove the Galeon entry, Open up "Main Menu" (System>Pref>Main Menu) and untick or remove it from the list.

Edit: To remove evolution open a terminal and

sudo apt-get remove evolutionIf you want to remove all the config files for it as well add the --purge option

sudo apt-get remove --purge evolution

Thanks, the icon was removed succesfuly.

Now with the evolution, Is it recommended to remove the config files or just leave them?

Thanks, Neal

Partyboi2
June 8th, 2008, 01:56 PM
If you plan to use evolution sometime in the future and want to retain your settings just use the remove command but if you are wanting to remove all trace then use the --purge command. You maybe need to remove the
~/.evolution folder as well after purging.

Indy452
June 8th, 2008, 02:26 PM
O.K. Thank you! I chose to leave the config files just in case youknow.

Before I log out, Since I left the config files, will I still be updating the evolution program when updates do arrive?

Neal

Partyboi2
June 8th, 2008, 02:43 PM
You shouldn't because evolution is no longer installed

Indy452
June 8th, 2008, 02:46 PM
O.K good to go then. Thanks for the assistance.

Neal