PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Triple Boot Help/ Suggestions

thecaptainjs
June 8th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Here is what I want to do.

I want to triple boot. XP(32), Vista and Ubuntu.

I have 4* 320GB Hard Drives.

My Mobo has raid 5 support now and i have 3 in raid 5 with my XP 64 install on it and Vista on the 4th drive. The performance sucks though with XP 64.

I want the best performance, but I do want some type of comfort that my data wont be lost. I need some suggestions.

I am not as concerned about my OS HD's dying. I can deal with most of that. Should a HD Die I would hate to lose my data, I can live with losing saved games and stuff like that.

How can I setup all 3 on a Raid 0?
What Order?

Basically I think I want to setup a Raid 0 with 2 drives and use it to triple boot XP, Vista Ultimate, Ubuntu.
The other 2 drives i will with either raid 0 or raid 1 depending.

So how do i do it?

ScottLij
June 8th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Just use a RAID 1 or RAID 5 and as soon as a hard drive dies you need to replace it, might one to have a spare one if you're worried about losing data. Once you set up the RAID, the computer should see just one hard drive. Then install the OSes in this order: Vista, XP, Ubuntu.

thecaptainjs
June 8th, 2008, 05:35 PM
If only it were that easy.
I was told a few times that ubuntu doesnt recgonize raid 5, so I wasnt sure about 0 or 1.

So if i install Vista, XP then Ubuntu it will work?

ScottLij
June 8th, 2008, 06:28 PM
I don't know why Ubuntu wouldn't work with RAID 5 but would work with RAID 0 and 1 as the RAID controller should handle the RAID and the computer should just see a single hard drive. If you were installing these three OSes on a typical system the easiest (no extra work) install order would be XP, Vista, Ubuntu (this is different from above, I made an error).