PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dual boot switchover?

remicks916
June 7th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Ok, I am currently dual booting Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.04 off of the same hard drive. It is 160gb partitioned with 80gb for XP and the rest in ext3 and swap for Ubuntu. It was a standard XP installed first DVD install which I have got running quite smoothly. Now on to the question...

Is it possible for me to remove the XP partition completely and replace it with an install of Fedora 8 or 9 to dual boot alongside Ubuntu? I am trying to learn both operating systems and would really like to setup my PC this way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Oldsoldier2003
June 7th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Ok, I am currently dual booting Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.04 off of the same hard drive. It is 160gb partitioned with 80gb for XP and the rest in ext3 and swap for Ubuntu. It was a standard XP installed first DVD install which I have got running quite smoothly. Now on to the question...

Is it possible for me to remove the XP partition completely and replace it with an install of Fedora 8 or 9 to dual boot alongside Ubuntu? I am trying to learn both operating systems and would really like to setup my PC this way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
yes you can simply install fedora over the top of your xp partition. IIRC fedora will setup grub to dual boot with Ubuntu. (at least i seem to recall it did- either way if it doesn't its easy enough to fix.)

You can use the same linux swap partition for both installations. Have fun and good luck !

remicks916
June 11th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the help, but I actually decided to just go 100% ubuntu on this PC, which is working out quite well for me so far!