PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] How to toggle screen lock via script?

TheAmigo
June 7th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I have a script that auto-detects my location at boot time (laptop that I use in different places). Based on my location, I make several customizations (e.g. running BlueProximity & synergy or not).

If I'm at work, I want the screen saver to lock my screen, but when I'm at home, I don't want it to (although I do want the screen saver to run).

What I'd like to do is find a command-line way to un/check the gnome-screensaver-preferences' box for "Lock screen when screensaver is active".

Any suggestions?

I'm running Hardy with a close to default gnome desktop (including compiz).

Forlong
June 7th, 2008, 10:22 PM
gconftool-2 -s -t bool /apps/gnome-screensaver/lock_enabled true

gconftool-2 -s -t bool /apps/gnome-screensaver/lock_enabled false

TheAmigo
June 8th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping existed. I'll have to read up more on gconftool and see what else it does that I may want to use.

arpad9
July 21st, 2008, 02:51 AM
And for those that may not get the implications of this, here is a nice, simple bash script that toggles based on current state. I associated this with an application launcher and put it in my panel... now I just have to figure out how to change the icon based on state. [edit: instead I found "xmessage" and added some lines]

#!/bin/bash

foo=`gconftool --get /apps/gnome_settings_daemon/screensaver/start_screensaver`

if [ $foo == 'true' ]
then
gconftool --type=bool --set /apps/gnome_settings_daemon/screensaver/start_screensaver false
xmessage -timeout 2 -center screensaver OFF
else
gconftool --type=bool --set /apps/gnome_settings_daemon/screensaver/start_screensaver true
xmessage -timeout 2 -center screensaver ON
fi

fi

arpad9
July 21st, 2008, 03:26 AM
Huh. It's changing the keys but the screensaver seems unaffected.

arpad9
July 21st, 2008, 08:19 AM
Could be because I was editing the wrong keys!!

#!/bin/bash

foo=`gconftool --get /apps/gnome-screensaver/idle_activation_enabled`

if [ $foo == 'true' ]
then
gconftool --set /apps/gnome-screensaver/idle_activation_enabled --type=bool false
xmessage -timeout 2 -center screensaver OFF
else
gconftool --set /apps/gnome-screensaver/idle_activation_enabled --type=bool true
xmessage -timeout 2 -center screensaver ON
fi